Featured let's talk blech...

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Fid, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

obscure buckle. not even sure if it's silver, silverplate or simple polished tole.
    has German mark for Gesetzlich Geschützt and an "edgy" capital S in a hammerhead. I found similar marks before buying it but can't get hold of them anymore. if memory serves ok, it could be Bernard Hertz of Copenhagen. style would be Skønvirke, which is the Danish variation of arts and crafts . as usual, all ideas welcome. TIA.
    upload_2018-11-6_15-25-56.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-6_15-26-25.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-6_15-27-0.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-6_15-28-30.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-6_15-29-14.jpeg upload_2018-11-6_15-25-56.jpeg upload_2018-11-6_15-26-25.jpeg upload_2018-11-6_15-27-0.jpeg upload_2018-11-6_15-28-30.jpeg upload_2018-11-6_15-29-14.jpeg upload_2018-11-6_15-25-56.jpeg upload_2018-11-6_15-26-25.jpeg upload_2018-11-6_15-27-0.jpeg upload_2018-11-6_15-28-30.jpeg upload_2018-11-6_15-29-14.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Despite the aggressive motif, that's quite lovely. Don't know much about vintage German clothes but I would assume designed for a man -- and, given shape and construction -- meant for a cape rather than for use as a belt buckle. Anyone agree/disagree?

Debora

Christmasjoy and bobsyouruncle like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    That would look wonderful on my cloak made of owl feathers.
    greg

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it can take a 2 inch belt. but most probably not thought for a heavy leather belt, but for a lady's belt that went a bit over the hips and served as adornment only; therefore the slight angle of the holders.

5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

similar one by Hertz. perhaps a German import to Denmark ? or the other way round ?

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a belt buckle, with those slides at the back.
    A cloak buckle would have small rings at the back, around the edges. That would secure the entire buckle on the cloak, and also prevent the fabric from tearing.
    I can see a relationship with Skønvirke in the sense that it has a lot of silver and small stone cabochons. But Skønvirke designs are generally floral. Heavy but elegant.
    I can only find the BH mark for Bernard Hertz. Maybe S once worked for Hertz and started for him/herself?

judy, Christmasjoy and sabre123 like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

All I can say is that if I see a posting question by Fid, I know I am going to love the piece.

Fid, you have the best taste. :)

Can only imagine the items you have collected over the years.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    judy likes this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

:kiss:
    only problem not cheap.

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Good stuff generally isn't. That buckle is gorgeous.

judy, Christmasjoy and Fid like this.
  11. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Love the buckle too, Fid. :)

judy and Fid like this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I was recently musing about my antique collections. Jugendstil ceramics/copper/pewter. takes a lot of place and the main problem is that my wife still lives in Switzerland and my stuff is in France. so it's easier for her to grab jewelry and off to Switzerland again...

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

GORGEOUS buckle @Fid!!!! Did you happen to notice on the back by the vertical bar by the right eagle there are some letters......I've circle both areas....one says partial "STE" and something after.....the other looks like it says "SP. and some other partial letter.....that's all I've got!!:):) Maybe you can see better with a loupe!!

zzzzEAGLEHEADS BUCKLE.jpg

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

thank you aquitaine, will have a look in the morning, eyes too tired now.

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  15. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Sweet looking piece.

i need help likes this.
  16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I didn't find any further inscriptions in bright daylight, sorry.

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Ah well.................

Draft saved Draft deleted