Lina Medina news articles and Ripley's telegrams

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Anthony Giangregorio, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Hello Everybody, I have an item of interest that I’m really just not sure what to do with. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    There are three notebooks full of news article clippings from 1939 and later, related to Lina Medina. She was a world spectacle for being the youngest girl to ever be a mother at 5 years old. She was from Lima, Peru.
    Attached in the notebook are telegrams from the U.S., from Ripley’s Believe It Or Not, requesting Lina and her child and doctor to come to the U.S. to be featured in the 1939 Worlds Fair.
    How would I possibly be able to value this?
    With the limit of photo sizes, I have only posted a couple at very small size.
    There are close to 100 article clippings.

Attached Files:

judy and wildrose like this.
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

5 years old ??? This can't be real .. HOW?? .. Actually this story sickens me, .. OUT.

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

There is already so much available online regarding this extraordinary case (Wikipedia, YouTube, photos, etc) I would wonder whether the "value angle" on this collection might be in who it was that kept it all. The telegrams are to and from someone named Loayza. Is there anything else that might identify just who that person was? And what about Isabel Plata from San Francisco?

Are the articles all in Spanish or are there also American newspapers included?

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the youngest girl to ever be a mother at 5 years old :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::vomit::inpain::inpain:

judy likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The first telegram uses the neologism 'childmother'. In the newspaper photo, the baby looks about a third the size of the 'mother'. I ask you... Does anything mention a father?

judy likes this.
  6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

This child was far too young to menstruate, produce eggs from her ovaries .. or even have room in her belly to carry a child. I believe somebody else gave birth to that baby and that the story is a complete sham, either for money or or publicity .. probably money. If this had actually happened someone should be in jail for rape, abuse of a minor .. and more. But the story is absolutely ridiculous and ugly to boot ... Joy.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call that a father.

8. Any Jewelry

Not sure that would happen in Peru at the time. Or some other countries now.

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

OK. Back to the coffee pot. You people are creeping me out!! (Or, rather, the generators originally of such disasters are!)

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

This is such an odd, one off collection. It would be difficult to value, as there won’t be comprables. I suppose there is a collector of Ripley memorabilia maybe. You chose a Dousey for your first thread! :hilarious:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  12. Any Jewelry

Dousey? I couldn't find anyone in the translator thread for this one, so translation help please? (Did I post it the right way up?:D)

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Not sure I spelled it correctly. :(, ok sorry Doozy! :hilarious:

14. Any Jewelry

Ah, didn't know that one either, but found it. I rather liked your spelling, with a certain je ne sais quoi.....:pompous:

judy, silverthwait, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  15. Loayza seems to be the name of a national hospital in Peru. There are English articles as well. As for Isabel Plata, I am still translating her letters. I'm gathering the she represents some US entity and was inquiring further as to the events of the child-birth. I'll keep digging. Thank You

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted