Featured Lion Mignature Statue ..Original or Copy..??Marble,Stone ,Resine ...????

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BTZ64, Apr 15, 2023.

?

Original or Copy..??

1. Period of work done..?? 18 19 20 th cent ???

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Quality of material...Marble..Stone...Resine..????

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Here is this nice patined Lion carved mignature statue...!!!
    Cant be a copy..?? So nicely executed..on..?? Marble..Stone or ???
    Not sure if it is a small copy of a famous Statue..??? But looks quite old and artisticly done with knowledge...!!!
    How old you think... XVIII ?.. XIX ...?? I will thinkk 19th copy of earlier....???
    Would love to know more about it...If you can...
    Dims: H 14.5 x 6.5 cm x 9.5 cm Base EB12.jpg EB13.jpg EB15.jpg EB14.jpg
    Thanks..JB

Owliza, Figtree3, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There are some lion sculptures that get reproduced a bit like those in front of the The New York Public Library, those in Trafalgar Square and the Lion of Venice. Yours isn't one of those but certainly could be a copy of another.

Debora

BTZ64 likes this.
  3. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Well...understand you 100%....But But and But ..Think this wee object looks alike very old...Patina and mode of carving doensnt look copy..!!!??? As astuborn basque man...have to find a way to agree or not...Thanks to all your team to help...Hopefully....Will add some more photos in an additional tread..Maybe helping..!!!???? KL1.jpg KL2.jpg KL3.jpg KL4.jpg KL5.jpg KL6.jpg

Attached Files:

• KL8.jpg
      KL8.jpg
      File size:
      360.1 KB
      Views:
    Figtree3, judy and Boland like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks convincingly like stone to me. Maybe basalt, or lava? Where did you find it? You might check locally for churches or palaces, or tombs of famous people that feature lions.

judy, johnnycb09 and BTZ64 like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Start with a Google Lens search.

Debora

BTZ64 likes this.
  6. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

No idea..?? Came from Grand parents Objects Partage...For sure it was in there house for long...An old piece of green velvet was stuck under it...Typical my old grandma in order to dont scratch anything as it is very heavy for the size...Hope I can at least figure out if it is very old or not...Was thinking it might be antique carved schist stone...A little like boudhist Gandhara statues...???But just a suggestion..Thanks for your effort to help...JB

moreotherstuff likes this.
  7. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Dont know how to do...!!

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If I can do it, you can do it.

Go to Google.com, click on camera icon at far right in search bar, upload your photograph and Google will try to make a match.

Debora

Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 10.04.26 AM.png

9. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Thanks Deborah...Understoodnow..And Helpfull big time...Only stuff a little similar are in Bronze..Not in Carved stone...???? Will follow up trying to find out..!!! Hope that is a good genuine piece..!!!

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is this your lion? On the tomb of Richard the Lion-Hearted. No, doesn't look quite right.

Debora

cimg4998-e1310357239914.jpg

BTZ64 likes this.
  11. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Some similar naivity on the head carving....I do wish mine is from the same period....But for sure mine is a mignature of 14,5 cm...Would be interesting to know how old..???? Thanks for your interest and info.!!

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The original yours is based on may well be from the same period, but when your piece was carved is an entirely different matter.

These are a 100 years after Lionheart, from the tomb of Charles V in St Denis:
    00.jpg

BTZ64 and Debora like this.
  13. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Very interesting Thanks..!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted