Lions, Tigers & Waterford Bears! OH MY!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Jan 28, 2015.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Can ya'll help me identify this Waterford bear? It stands 7.6 inches tall and is 3/4 inch thick. I can't find any other like like on eBay completed auctions. Am I missing something???????? It looks like some big paperweight. I can't find any other purpose for it besides target practice at 900 yards with a Savage F/TR in a .308. Help save this nifty looking item from certain doom!

water.bear2.jpg water.bear3.jpg water.bear1.jpg water.bear4.jpg

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Replacements lists a Waterford teddy bear picture frame. He looks a lot like your bear but the frame itself appears to be missing.
    Don

3. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

spirit-of-shiloh and antidiem like this.
  4. vitry-le-francois

Messlane, as always, you da best! Dunno how ya found it but I am thankful. The bear also thanks you for saving it from the firing line!

5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I wish I cold say it took many hours of research, but all I did was a Google Image search (by stealing your photo!! :wideyed:).

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Hi, very cute bear. I saw one on Worthpoint that sold on ebay in October, 2011 (exactly like yours) for $32.96. The versions that have either a clock or a picture in the tummy sell for between $20 and $45, according to Worthpoint. Yours looks like a bookend since it is flat on one side.

7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The more I look at this, the more sure I am about it being a bookend. It's flat on one side and has that cone shape on the front which would keep it from tipping over, keep it steady.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If you can shoot out an 8 inch target at 900 yards..........I say go for it !!!

MagnumReasearch45-70gov10,5bbl.jpg ( i know this isn't a 308.....but it's brash !)

9. vitry-le-francois

brash, indeed! I like it :)
    THANKS all for providing info!

10. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

There are a few like your's on eBay right now. I did a search on waterford Bear bookend and found some. none call it a bookend, and one calls it etchable. There are also the same bear with picture frame tummies and clocks. Sadly, none in the sold listings.
    A lot of waterford is a hard sell right now. But I keep amassing it from auctions and the such for cheap, hoping for a resurgance in price. I can't tell you how many waterford ashtrays I have because I can't resist a piece of Waterford for $5 or less......

dgbjwc likes this.
  11. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

I have one with the frame I have had for years, well 20 or more
    My mom was into Waterford had 2 chandeliers etc etc

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  12. komokwa

I had a pair of waterford whisky glasses...that slipped out of my hands during my last move.......YIKES ....boy did they blow up hitting the floor !
    Not a finer glass in the world for holding my spirits !

13. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Yes, the stuff really shatters nicely when it hits the floor, a sign of real quality. I actually have good luck selling Waterford drinkware, it seems more popular then the giftware (clocks, frames etc...). Toasting flutes don't do well and are selling about 1/3 of retail, if that much. I still don't buy it unless it;s dirt cheap, I found a couple Waterford Colleen water goblets for $15 (for both) awhile back and sold the pair for $72. i was happy! Dealer had no idea what she had.

14. komokwa

I was picking up tear laden shards for an hour.....they made a hell of a noise too !

Draft saved Draft deleted