Listed artist or factory art?

Discussion in 'Art' started by sunday silence, Jun 2, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

THis is by Giovanni Camprio 1915-99; who is apparently a listed artist. THe one on the left is from an upcoming auction the one on the right is from worthpoint. There quite few that are similar to this including one that sold for $1000. THis is not the first time Ive come across this situation where its hard to believe this one guy kept painting the same elements over and over. Why? There's another in worth point that uses the mirror image of the boats and coastline, guess he wanted to change it up.

camprio factory.farmers sun.jpg

scoutshouse and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Monet kept painting the water lilies again and again, the light changes.

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Here is my theory - an artist has to eat. He/she finds an image that is saleable. Viola!

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Some artists are a factory unto themselves. That said, Do you know these really are the paintings of this artist? Factory art is notorious for using saleable names.

Fid, Lucille.b, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I suspect those came out of a furniture store at one time. And they don't appear to be by the hand of the same artist.

Debora

blooey likes this.
  7. sunday silence

8. sunday silence

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

There are artists in the French Quarter of New Orleans who paint and sell the same scenes, some aren't even landscapes! So yes, artists can be a "factory unto themselves" as Brad mentioned. This could be a case of that. Or not.

Sunday, it is curious that Worthpoint listing doesn't show up under fine art. Almost as though they thought it wasn't that?

10. sunday silence

Anti: I have no idea what to think of the worthpt. glitch. I think there are 75 paintings for Camprio under fine art and that number jumps to 125 when I add "all listings" most/all are paintings. WOrthpt is filled with annoying glitches like that.

antidiem likes this.
  11. antidiem

Thanks for letting us know. I know you are on the difficult research, but if you want to buy it - buy it because you love it! Not because you think it to be a good investment, I do not think this is a good investment painting.)

If you already own it and plan to sell it, someone can buy it because they love it! My advice would be for you to just list it, without any stress or concern, as "signed by ..." and let it run for a 7 day auction, starting at the price you think you could part with it for!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. sunday silence

Yes Im aware that some artists maybe/sort of factories. BUt it depends on exactly how they are doing it.

For example: Lee Reynolds was a great factory in the 60s. But they didnt keep redoing the same scene at least I dont recall that. THey made copies of master works and usually added some changes. I actually love Lee Reynolds stuff and have a couple, but you cant get any money for them.

But then there's like ANtonio Devity who is really well regarded. His stuff looks like that french souvenir stuff you see, but if you look closer its really better than that. And while his stuff is reminiscent of other works, its not like they painted the same main element and just changed the background. His stuff actually sells 500-1000 dollars.

The one here, Camprio, it seems like they paint the identical main element the boat, and the coast and then just change the buildings and clouds. So I am asking what others think. I am skeptical but interested in what others think.

antidiem likes this.
  13. antidiem

I am not enamoured with the boat scenes, but that's just my own taste. I cannot see the brush work or details at all. Artwork is individual taste. I just try to advise people to buy what they like! ;) This goes for EVERYTHING, not just art!

14. laura9797

I do not subscribe to Worthpoint but I know on Liveauctioneers, you do need to check the bidding history to see if possibly the auction house ran the bid up and bought the item back. Sometimes it is hard to tell. With Ebay, you can have a buy it now or best offer. Seller could have listed the painting for $1000 and took an offer of $100 - not sure Worthpoint actually provides the best offer price?

aaroncab likes this.
  15. sunday silence

worth point purports to show the sale price. But I have never thought to double check on that. I tend to think its reliable for sale price.

But Ive also seen crappy art run up at fake auctions. Auctions with names like "IRS tax repossesion" and stuff like that.

16. laura9797

I know when I look at sold comps on ebay, if it is a buy it now, it doesn't state the price it actually sold for. I guess worthpoint must have a relationship with ebay to obtain those buy it now prices.

17. sunday silence

antidiem likes this.
  18. sunday silence

You know there's a trick to getting the actual price it sold for, right? See this site:

http://www.watchcount.com/mw2.php

you go the yellow window and input the ebay number of the item. Then hit return and it should give you the actual price. Sometimes it will say something like "not actual price go here:" and it makes you click on another link. NOt sure why it does that but these seem to be reliable results.

laura9797 and antidiem like this.
  19. antidiem

Thank you so much, SundaySilence :joyful::smug:

20. laura9797

I had no idea! Thanks for this information! I checked it out and it is crazy what people are watching!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted