Literally, Street Art: Found on Seattle Pavement in 1975

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by wlwhittier, Jan 27, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I was walking from the car to a restaurant not too distant, in the pitchfork rain as is dirt-common hereabouts. Waiting for the crosswalk signal to allow further progress, I glanced down at the ankle-deep creek sluicing in the gutter near my toes...this was glistening there in 3 inches of fairly clear runoff. As the light changed, I reached down an' fetched it up, stuck it in my pocket an' headed for supper, soaked nearly to the skin...an' promptly forgot about it!

A week or so later, while doing a load of laundry, I heard the most awful racket coming from my dryer. Long story short, it was this nugget, rattling amongst the Levi's & socks. Some minor damage to the jeans resulted.

It's a little bigger than a silver dollar, but only about a third as thick; it weighs 5 grams. I think it may be sheet iron rather than steel, based on the apparent crystalline structure revealed on the 'back' side. I cannot help but believe it had been in that street, under traffic, for a very long time. The perforated condition, feathered edges, an' obvious abraded wear on only one side, with ancient red rust covering the 'front', suggests it hadn't often found itself with the shiny side to the sun...but that is exactly how I spotted it in the water; bright side up!

I realize how strange this must seem to my cosmopolitan friends here...that I would grab it in the first place, then hang on to it for almost 50 years...an' then dare to introduce it to all you worldly, sophisticated folks...why, the very idea! But...I'm unapologetic.

Please forgive my rambling on about this insignificant bit of iron...but the truth is that I love it, still...partly (perhaps crucially) because no one else, in their right mind, would pay it a second glance.
    Thanks for lookin'!

509AD28F-5090-4D74-9906-DC860A3620A6_1_201_a.jpeg 9A3EA224-D26E-4F89-B331-69D890B1C0D7_1_201_a.jpeg 94F3D49F-CBBD-45DD-AEBE-C26B75818F98_1_201_a.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

funny how a cast off piece ( torch cut blob..) or metal solder can entrance ....;)

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was going to say "electroform", so it definitely qualifies as found art. It needs a stand so it can be displayed properly.

judy, johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  4. wlwhittier

I love it...but don't don't put any of those I love on a pedestal. It's on a shelf with other treasures...behind glass, I gotta add, to avoid dusting. Not that I do any of that, but...

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. wlwhittier

I'll accept that it may have been cast-off...or even have fallen off...but it ain't torch cut...nor metal solder. Tsk!
    Have you thought about getting professional help...from an ophthalmologist or dispensing optician?

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wanted to take a snap of a vase I've had on a shelf for years. Had to grab something to wipe the dust off first and a cobweb out of it. Disturbing dust sets off allergies. Best to leave be!

johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  7. wlwhittier

Not only that, but once you begin, where do you stop? That road goes ever on...

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Beautiful from either side. Brutalist by nature.

pearlsnblume and wlwhittier like this.
  9. wlwhittier

I knew there was a term for such...Nail Onna HEAD!

moreotherstuff likes this.
  10. komokwa

you can opine , as you wish, but to me it looks like someone was torch cutting an I beam and a blob shot off and hit the the ground.:woot:
    glasses....or no glasses !:p

11. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Post Modern Brutalist Netsuke-poss a small thumbnail sketch by Alberto Giacometti.A study executed while he was in Seattle attending the opening World's Fair Expo 62 Art Pavilion....just a guess.
    Seriously-if it was 2 or 3 feet across,it'd be up in the sculpture garden,wonderful piece.Like the crystalline rhythms on the back.

Any Jewelry and wlwhittier like this.
  12. wlwhittier

That's IT! Been inna street ever since then...well, only 12 years. Prolly worth a mint, huh? Sure glad it's under glass...hate to think about losing it!

13. wlwhittier

If wishes were fishes...I'll allow that you may have something there. Either way, 'tho, it's still a sweet piece of street art...don'tcha think? An' how 'bout all that backstory?

14. komokwa

I like the story...........dat's it, dat's all !:p

15. bosko69

It's all about the story gents-'a black bird,a girl,and a dark street and stiff drink to wash away the memories....'

wlwhittier likes this.
  16. wlwhittier

Y'all some kinda Feathered NUT?

17. bosko69

Sadly I got a lot less feathers than I did ten years ago-my missing top knots drivin' me nuts.Anybody here selling toupees cheap ?

wlwhittier likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Everyone here took the trouble to look at your pavement find, no need for personal attacks imo.

19. wlwhittier

AJ, there was no intent at serious offense, and I apologize without reservation to those who took any offense! Mea Culpa.

Your call is accurate...folks aren't to be ridiculed here, for any reason. My family is used to my sense of humor, an' I simply forgot to keep it in check. I am sorry.

20. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I grew up in Seattle (many years ago) and was always fascinated when we drove past the Bethlehem Steel plant - the giant glow and sparks visible from the outside. Your piece looks like a steel slag splash to me. Very nice.