Featured Little antique oil painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Boland, Nov 9, 2023.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

AE84B00C-44E4-46DE-ADC4-A35401505D30.jpeg A29DFDE7-B897-459A-9E02-F5596663CD68.jpeg 679C18D3-1E94-45CE-AF2C-B833F88B0F4E.jpeg 0D794FA7-6E10-4136-938E-1CD22005A6EC.jpeg A872C6DD-98B0-4B8B-9B9F-CF6E77CCC434.jpeg Hi all, not a painting that I like at all. That hand is freaky. Looks like she is wearing a glove and had a additional finger that was amputated. The amateur artist (must be) got something completely wrong there. Or Iam missing something? The hand looks like a obvious mistake. But why then is it almost ‘highlighted’ by those red lines? (just maybe me wonder) It all looks very amateur.

Anyway I was thinking maybe around 1900’s or so (maybe a little earlier) because of the little sailor dress? Couldn’t find anything on a N. Blokdyk artist? Found a Nicolaas Blokdyk (Netherlands 1810-1936) It’s 51cm X 41cm. Thanks for any comments

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

From the hair and clothes maybe later? '20s, '30s? Copy of a photo, or an advert?

Figtree3, Roaring20s, mirana and 5 others like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I was really guessing it is earlier. True,it does look like a postcard or ad image. I did however do a reverse image search and didn’t find it.

Bronwen, judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1920s-ish because of bob and drop waist. And certainly odd. I'd think it was done by someone copying something. Doesn't appear to be observed yet everything right -- just exaggerated. The eyes look skillfully done. Would/could you post a close-up photograph for us?

Debora

Figtree3, mirana, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for commenting Debora,I will take a close-up photo when I get home again.

6. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Looks like they did not finish, perhaps it got too hard to fix all those areas. See the hair, ear, shoes, etc. Oh, and those bench legs...

Bronwen and Boland like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, but s/he got some important things right. The eyes appear to be very skillfully done. And one can feel the weight of the fabric.

Debora

8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

3DB431E0-1C31-46B2-B7AD-A3B9F72C6C80.jpeg A32C745A-28D4-4EB5-BE6B-80CE7160D9DA.jpeg Some writing a name and numbers on the back. Anyway.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

E1F234E8-A64B-48FB-AD62-3136D6D331B0.jpeg 15E86022-7972-40F4-86F4-4D8C406F7D04.jpeg FBDFD282-3961-455A-9E1D-82E8AE39590E.jpeg Just for interest sake ,I also held the painting up to the sunlight. Very dramatic effect (I like it much more) Anyway it looks like that hand was over painted a number of times? The artist was trying to get something right?

Figtree3, Happy!, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think I see Everds Durban.

Figtree3, Bronwen and Boland like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My mother always said that hands were the most difficult to paint. She could paint hands, I never could, although I did a better job than this.

Happy!, Bronwen and Boland like this.
  12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks AJ. I was thinking Ernest Durban at first.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I wonder what the artist was thinking. Looks like a weird prosthetic hand. Maybe he/she just give up trying

14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I have also hear that about the hands. Makes sense!

15. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agree with you. I also think the eyes are ‘good’

Happy! and Bronwen like this.
  16. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Spooky! I like both the normal light and the illuminated-by-hellfire backlight...

Bronwen and Boland like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's a major "tell" for a hobby artist - the hands are wrong.

mirana, Bronwen and Boland like this.
  18. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

The eyes are different colors and shape as well.............

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and Boland like this.
  19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A lot like a photo studio portrait of my mother (who hated those big hair bows) when she was about 7, which would have been 1933. The chemise dress had of course already come into fashion.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Boland like this.
  20. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

‘Hellfire backlight’ is a good description!

Potteryplease and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted