Little antique pottery crock, use?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by tyeldom3, Sep 26, 2016.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I know it's nothing special, but it has me curious. It has 2 horizontal black lines going around it. It may have had a lid at some point, looks like some calcification near the top.
    Any ideas what it was used for, or where from? Thanks for your time.
    p1.jpg p2.jpg p3.jpg p4.jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    NICE!!! looks like it was a covered container that was waxed to keep it air tight. I "think' that crustiness was the old wax sealer.
    I would give it house room also.
    greg

tyeldom3 and Bakersgma like this.
  3. tyeldom3

Okay, thanks so much Greg.:):) I never knew about wax sealing. Would it have held some type of food?

4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's an old Chinese ginger jar. These relatively plain pieces with simple, or no, decoration, were used to store and ship pickled ginger and other spices or Chinese condiments.

You'll often find them in places in the U.S. that had a large Chinese worker presence in the 1800s. They were the throw-away containers of the day, still showing up in old dumps by railroad worker camps, sites of old canneries, mining camps, etc. And antique shops near those areas.

5. tyeldom3

Wow, how interesting!! Thank you so much Taupou!! I really appreciate the help & education.:):)

Draft saved Draft deleted