Little Blue Jug ID help please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Cape Bear, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Cape Bear

Cape Bear New Member

I am looking for some information on this little blue jug. It is 4 inches tall and has 'ACIDPROOF" on the side. The bottom has "6" or perhaps "9" and nothing more to identify it. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. JUG1.jpg

say_it_slowly likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @Cape Bear and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!! Cute little jug! Can you give us any more information about it? How long have you had it....where/how did you acquire it.....it has an awfully new "look" to it, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either! Whatever you can add to help US help YOU!!!:):)

Cape Bear and komokwa like this.
  3. Cape Bear

Cape Bear New Member

Thank you for the response! The family story is that it belonged to my great-great grandmother who lived from 1845 to 1929 on a farm in rural New Brunswick, Canada. I believe her parents came over from Ireland. I thought it looked new too but when I was given it, there was a note saying "belonged to Nanny Kate" and my mother always kept it in a treasured place in the china cabinet.

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

still like to see the base !;):happy:

5. Cape Bear

Cape Bear New Member

Here is the photo of the base. An another of the inside. It has a shiny glaze inside

jug bottom.jpg jug inside.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be called a jug, just saying.

komokwa likes this.
  7. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I think this is something to do with chemists. I have one, did some looking around when I got it and the consensus was it was somehow chemist related but I didn't ever get interested enough to find out what exactly it was.
    This is mine, same size as the OP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    judy, Firemandk, Fid and 3 others like this.
  8. Cape Bear

Cape Bear New Member

That is so interesting. they look identical. The chemist connection might be interesting to follow up. I know that many old mortar and pestle sets have a similar finish inside and out. I will look into it more. thanks for posting!

judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  9. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

If you find out anything, I'd love to know! Good luck xxxx

Draft saved Draft deleted