Featured Little celluloid dog faces, etc. What would these have been used for?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

These were all in a box at an estate sale. Any idea what they would have been used for? Charms? One maybe a key ring? Thanks.

cel3.jpg cel4.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think the dogs might have been buttons.
    Does the rope look like it is original to the cowboy?
    Chicken looks like a charm.
    The woman's head, plane and whatever the yellow is, looks like they were put together. Notice how the wire is bent around the ribbon. Should have had rings I think.

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

might be Cracker Jack Prizes

4. Lucille.b

I thought the chicken might be Cracker Jacks. Everything else is too large, I think -- but no expert. Does anyone know if the charms were sometimes bigger, too?

The larger pieces do appear to have had something that has since been removed. Could be the button loop snapped, but some are too big for buttons. Maybe they were carnival prizes that have their pin backs broken off? I wonder if the former owner planned some craft with them?

Cowboy is my favorite. Rope does appear to be original, so probably not a button for this one.

Just had an idea -- a friend's wife was somehow crafting these amazing bakelite bracelets out of old bakelite pieces and buttons. (No idea where she got chunks of bakelite, but they seemed to be the real deal...) They were actually selling quite well on Ebay. This was a few years ago, but maybe she could somehow use these pieces.

judy, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

fridge magnets...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

...and the little chicken charm is listed as Cracker Jack on both eBay & Etsy - at a price of $5.50 to $7!

8. komokwa

so pins on the back...not magnets......
    they could be magnets now though....

9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Those are so fun. The cowboy is rootin tootin cute.
    :)

Would any have come out of a gum ball machine in that egg contraption they used to make?

10. komokwa

Oh...i couldn't resist those, when I had an extra nickle or dime in my hand ...:happy:

11. Lucille.b

Quirky, good find!

Komokwa, They would make awesome magnets!

Draft saved Draft deleted