Featured Little french bronze doré box with enamel

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by quirkygirl, Sep 19, 2017.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Actually, most of the doré is gone ... so it's just a cute little bronze box with enamel and set 'gems'. Made in France stamped on the bottom. I think it probably at one time had a tiny mirror inside the lid.

I have found several similar boxes - mostly on Pinterest - and they are usually called pill, patch, or snuff boxes (and sometimes all three!) I don't think a pill or snuff box would require a mirror ... so a patch box makes the most sense to me. But the "made in France" stamp suggests that it was made after 1914 (or at least after 1890).

Did women actually still wear fake beauty marks at that time? Do you think this is an actual antique box styled to look like a patch box but with some other intended use?
    I am planning on listing it eventually... and will probably use all the aforementioned keywords to cover all bases ... but really am curious what it was meant for.

Do you think I should try to cut down a little mirror to fit in the lid or not bother? (I'm leaning towards leaving it as is since any new mirror will look just that .... new)

Thanks for looking :)
    P1130070(1).JPG P1130069(1).JPG P1130071(1).JPG P1130072(1).JPG P1130074(1).JPG

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, leave it as it is. A new mirror wouldn't look good.
    It is lovely as it is, but could benefit from a gentle clean.

4. quirkygirl

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and AJefferson like this.
  5. quirkygirl

Thank you for your advice :)
    Yes, it was pretty grungy when I first got it and have only used a soft dry brush on it ... maybe some careful damp brushing will help it look better.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Many, many years ago, I sold an antique metal purse with that same metal jewel work. The center opened up to the powder and pad inside. It had a gold metal tassel on the bottom and a gold metal wrist chain. I forget what the inside of the purse actually looked like but I think it was blue satin or velvet. It was so long ago, the photographs are on floppy disks from a Sony Mavica. It had the most bids I ever had on any auction, ever. I think I used some Symechrome on a q-tip to clean off one small tarnished area. Maybe you can test it in a small spot.

Christmasjoy and AJefferson like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

you're welcome quirkygirl:) I've never seen one with a mirror before, very nice piece!

9. quirkygirl

Thank you! :)

10. quirkygirl

That purse sounds amazing!!!!
    I love simichrome polish and always keep it on hand ... don't know if I want to go shiny or not with it, though. Will have to see how much gold finish is left in the crevices once it's cleaned up. I appreciate the suggestion :)

11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Believe it's often hard to define what use these small boxes were originally intended for, but have seen references that mention mirrors or looking glasses inside some snuff boxes, and while not the period usually associated with facial patches, beauty spots were used in the early 20th century, and I have one similar, with a glass religious image rather than enamel, that was my great-grandmother's rosary case. Regardless, it's a sweet little piece, though suspect it's brass rather than bronze...

~Cheryl

https://www.kilmerhouse.com/2008/03/beauty-spots

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  12. quirkygirl

Thank you Cheryl, interesting history of beauty spots ... this illustration cracks me up (I think she still needs a few more of those "beauty" spots on her)
    [​IMG]
    You're probably right about it being brass ... I was going by how it felt heavier than expected for its size, but was really just a guess on my part.

Draft saved Draft deleted