Little Girl with Beach Ball figurine. Goldscheider?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, Feb 25, 2016.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it has a Goldscheider look to it. It stands 8 ¾” high on a circular base that is 3 5/8” across. No joy online.

GirlwithBeachBallFigurine-a.jpg

GirlwithBeachBallFigurine-b.jpg

GirlwithBeachBallFigurine-c.jpg

GirlwithBeachBallFigurine-d.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

She's certainly European with those 7s. Delightful.

3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

a.jpg b.jpg

Seems modeled after these higher-end figurines, yes? Goebel, Hummel, if I'm spelling right?

Curious... why is she so dark? With blonde hair, no less. I Googled a ton of similar figurines. Only a couple were dark and clearly modeled to be Black girls. Is this a 1920s hair-bob? Really just intriguing!

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I suspect someone " touched " up the paint recently .

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Paint? You mean the details on her face? I don't think that's cold paint, but I'm not going to pick at it to find out. All the other color (apart from the clay) is glaze. Definitely not Hummel, and I believe not Goebel. I think that Goldscheider did use a terracotta clay, it's one reason I think this might be Goldscheider. (She's so dark because that's the color of the clay, but obviously the designer would have taken that into account.)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... thanks, MOS...

7. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

cxgirl, Bakersgma, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

lauragarnet: You found it! Very good! You know... I used all the right keywords and somehow I missed it - repeatedly. Well I didn't know Germaine Bouret, and now I do. So very pleased.

I've had this for the better part of 10 years. It was sitting on a table in a thrift and I was looking at it with another picker, and we both walked away because it was unidentified. Thought it might be Japanese. But afterwards, after leaving the store, I kept thinking that the quality seemed so much better than usual and the numbering looked European. So I went back several hours later and picked it off the table and purchased it. That could never happen today. Even with nobody knowing what it was, it would not still be sitting there hours later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goldscheide...ball-by-BOURET-Art-Deco-/271949225936/?_ul=AR

cxgirl, Bakersgma and lauragarnet like this.
  10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

YEAY, TEAM!

lauragarnet likes this.
  11. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Yup. Sometimes fresh eyes and lucky Google fingers helps alot. :joyful:
    The number 7594 matches on your figurine and the one you linked to.
    Gila found a Bouret with the bare red clay, same glaze and original sticker!

12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Ole!

YEAY TEAM!

Draft saved Draft deleted