Little jade man help identifying?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi....onward with more stuff!! Didn't see a particular thread where this would fit, so since am pretty sure he's old figured here would do!!! This little guy is one of my Favorite things!!! I think he might have been on an opium belt?? He's somewhat translucent, pretty sure a white jade with a slight greenish tinge, is 2-1/2" tall and weighs 1.9 oz. Wherever I go he travels with me....kind of a talisman!! There's a tiny bit of brownish stuff stuck to the bottom of his feet/foot, NOT A MARKING ON HIM that I can find....can't figure out what he's carrying, kind of a happy face......and he's smooth as silk!!! Most grateful for any and all input as chinese items I know zero about!!!! TIA!! Oh, pictures were taken at different times of day, I think accounting
    for different colors......there is a hole that goes right through which can be seen in the back of him in the first picture and the fourth picture....Mom had a small Netsuke collection at one time.....this fellow was not part of it.
    JadeMan1.jpg JadeMan2.jpg JM3.jpg JM6.jpg JM7.jpg

Figtree3 and Jen and George like this.
  2. trailboss

trailboss New Member

Can you include a photo of the brown color on the foot?

3. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I cannot see the object he is holding very well, but it could be a ruyi or a branch with lingzhi mushrooms (or a ruyi in the shape of a branch with lingzhi mushrooms)?
    Mat

4. Aquitaine

Bottom of feet.....it's very tiny though..... BottmJadeManFeet.jpg

5. Aquitaine

It DOES look like some sort of branch.....not sure if I can get a better picture.....

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think what you have is what they call Mutton Fat Jade

https://www.google.com/search?q=mut...MKHVusDaEQ_AUICCgC&biw=1654&bih=1057&dpr=0.85

Nephrite can be found in a translucent white to very light yellow form which is known in China as mutton fat jade, in an opaque white to very light brown or gray which is known as chicken bone jade, as well as in a variety of green colours. Canada is the principal source of modern lapidary nephrite.
    Nephrite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NephriteWikipedia

Attached Files:

Aquitaine likes this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I know nothing about jade , but wanted to say hes beautiful .

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. trailboss

trailboss New Member

Ah yes, your little guy was probably mounted on a teak wood stand and we see the adhesive remnant.

Very nice piece, would love to have it in my jade collection.

You are fortunate to have it.

9. Aquitaine

Thank you! He's my 'bestest' little man and he smiles at me all the time!!!:D:D

10. Aquitaine

Thank you! I love him!!!....so THAT'S what that brownish little bit of stuff is!!!! Thanks again!!!! And WELCOME!!! It's a lot of fun and learning going on here!!!!

11. Aquitaine

Thank you Johnnycb!!!! And I don't know a whole lot more about jade either....I have one other piece my Mom had....a necklace.....

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  12. Aquitaine

Does anyone have any idea how old "he" would be????

13. Aquitaine

Thanks Cluttered!! Great Wiki article and that is one awesome piece of jade on display!!!!! From what the article said, do you think the article indicates my little man could be pre-1800?????

14. Aquitaine

And would love to see your jade collection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):D

15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't want to try and guess the age on this.

The articles says
    "Nephrite jade was used mostly in pre-1800 China."
    Which to me means it was still used after, just not as much.

16. Aquitaine

Dang Nab it!!!!! Ah well......but then my key word was "could"......worth a try!!!!!:D

17. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I think Chinese never stopped using nephrite. It was primary jade material before they discovered the jadeite but they continued to work both. The only way to date the piece is by the carving style, facial features and tool marks but this is out of my expertise.
    If you are planning to sell it, the buyers will recognize how old it is.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted