Little Limoges Jug, or maybe not?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Jan 2, 2022.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

When I got this in a job lot I thought it was obviously a 19th century Limoges item, but now I'm wondering if it might be from somewhere else, maybe Germany. I must stop myself making assumptions! It is small, about 6 inches high at the rim, and handpainted with a scene of what looks like a strange lumpish landing space by a river or lake and an inn or warehouse. It isn't marked underneath except with a scratched number 276, the 7 being crossed in the continental fashion. Unusually, the decoration is on the side to the outside when holding the jug in the right hand, so unless one is left-handed it is intended to display to others in use, rather than being admired by the user. Actually I don't think it was really intended to use at all, it is small and pretty enough to be a display piece. So Limoges or not, do you think? jug - 1 (1).jpeg limoges - 1.jpeg limoges - 2.jpeg jug - 4.jpeg jug - 3.jpeg

Msalicia and Hi2022 like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd think Austrian or German.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  3. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'm glad I checked, and will now search in that direction. I hate to misdescribe items, and just thinking "Limoges" was being lazy!

Draft saved Draft deleted