Featured Little Pug Statue-Age & Maker ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bosko69, Apr 14, 2024.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I adopted this little pooch & there's lots on the web-but none have this vent hole.He's 3 1/4 inches high & from my examination,totally unmarked.
    It looks like this same mold was re-used thru the years but none with this vent hole (most are open bottom as in last pic).
    Any guesses on age or maker ? Thanks for the help.
    pug1.jpg pug2.jpg pug4.jpg
    Most all bases are open,like this-
    pug victo.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: u certain that's not a cat ?:playful:

charlie cheswick and Bronwen like this.
  3. komokwa

4. komokwa

5. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

you find those vent holes in old staffordshire pottery pieces, that would be my guess

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. charlie cheswick

7. charlie cheswick

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I thought I saw one of those on Antique roadshow, but I could be wrong.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  9. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Are you sure it’s a “he”?

10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Yours looks like maybe a slightly crude pottery copy. Love it though. I collect old pugs and bulldogs. I have a pretty fine porcelain pug in a different form that I happily scored at a thrift store. Back when I could still walk into a thrift and find something good every time just about. I have some not as nice ones too.

11. bosko69

Charlie's Etsy ref for a 19th Staffordshire Pug Referred to it as 'a "Cat Face" Pug, he also has a loosely curled "cat-like" tail, unlike the typically, tightly curled tail on other Pug porcelain figurines.' That fits to a T,so yep Komo,he does look like a cat.
    Thanks All for interest & very knowledgeable feedback ! I was hoping it was an old Staffy- type,I mean Pugs-I reflexively think UK before anywhere else.
    PS-No offense to the rest of the Pug loving world,it's just my stereotype !

12. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I had one of these once and I think it was German

13. bosko69

14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Have seen some of these cat-faced Pugs described as Staffordshire for years, but to me, they seem much more likely to be mid-late 19th century German, economy versions of Meissen Pugs. I've owned an uncommon cat (Pug-faced?) figurine for years with the same body and tail as the Pugs, and with a bow rather than bells (around 6" tall, it's in a box somewhere), but can't locate a pic of the full piece, but here's his face beside my old, dog-like kitty Spot, their serious faced resemblance the reason I bought the piece...

SPOT19THC1.jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  15. bosko69

As cat people-couldn't resist the little hybrid-it's only 3 1/4" high.The German & Staffordshire pieces look really close-poss shared molds ?
    I think a few US companies might've pinched or copied European Majolica molds.

16. komokwa

oh , c'mon....that's a cat faced ..cat !
    :happy::cat::cat::cat:

17. bosko69

Way,way,wait a second-is zis a dog faced cat or a cat faced dog or a pug faced statue ?

Tesssa and kentworld like this.
  18. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

My niece wants a piggy bank for her birthday I was just told. I was sending my sister a photo of the banks I have on hand to see if any would do the trick. It occurred to me right as I was clicking out of the picture that my cat faced cat closely resembles your cat faces dog. Maybe both inspired by same mold. E59D027A-35B7-4417-B24F-08C4E22BEEEC.jpeg

kentworld and pearlsnblume like this.
  19. bosko69

J-That's really similar.I know certain molds were swiped/adopted by rival companies.It also reminds of me of Dragonfly's-I think all these critters are related.
    Good luck with your Niece,it sounds like you'll make her a wonderful memory w/that bank.

J Dagger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted