Featured Little Ring found for a buck-what kind of stone please ?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bosko69, Feb 4, 2024.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Here's a little ring I found at a garage sale yesterday.It was a dollar,and even though it's a cheapo 10K Chinese ring the price was right.
    Can anyone tell me what kind of stone or glass this might be ?
    PS-THANKS JOOLIES for getting me to slow down it pay attention to the smaller things in life !

ring2.jpg ring3.jpg ring1.jpg ring4.jpg

Figtree3, kyratango, KSW and 3 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A sweet ring, bosko. And you can't go wrong for that price.
    It is best to have the metal tested. Chinese gold or silver isn't always gold or silver, in spite of the marks.
    They also use a lot of glass 'stones'. Not saying yours is glass, it is impossible to tell from a photo. If gemstone, there are several possibilities.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    Figtree3, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  3. bosko69

Thanks AJ-I was inspired by all our Joolies to go for it ! Any recommendations on Gold Test Kits to buy online (some type of acid ?). As far as testing the stone,I'll prob go to a jeweler for that one.It sounds like decent Presidium testers are $200-$500 each !

Figtree3, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

I have a cheap one with acids for silver and various gold finenesses. It comes with a testing stone and instructions.
    I have a cheap (again:D) diamond tester, which tests Mohs hardness, so it tests other stones as well. I also use a Chelsea filter for some stones.

5. bosko69

Would you recommend I buy both those,if so-can you share model names/numbers ?

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

If you want to buy more jewellery, I would buy both. Both can be found on ebay very cheaply.
    There is a thread about testing which may have model names/numbers. Maybe someone can find it for you.

KSW likes this.
  7. bosko69

Thanks AJ,I'll research it,appreciate it.

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If the ring really is 10k, I'd bet on the stone being blue topaz.

9. bosko69

I'll have to run it by a Jeweler.They usually don't go for a lot,but fun for a buck.

kyratango, komokwa and KSW like this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ah @bosko69 I think you are on our wonderful slippery slope of jewellery!
    First you buy something cheap but nice.
    Then you want to find out about it, you buy some acid and a loupe and a magnet. Then a gem tester, then a UV torch, then some more jewellery. Then a better loupe, some books, then a better magnet and a better gem tester, some more jewellery and on it goes…..
    Oh damn it, I think I’m a hoarder……….:rolleyes:

Happy!, Ownedbybear, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

If you're going to take it to a jeweler or pawn/gold buy to test the stone, they can probably test the gold for you too, so I'd wait to get the testers. It is nice to have if you'll be regularly going after unmarked (ie old) jewelry. The cheap diamond testers are like $30 and an acid kit is about the same. Usually the stores have presidium and sometimes XRF.

If gold, I'd also say Blue Topaz is the most popular.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    KSW and Figtree3 like this.
  12. bosko69

I'll wait to invest in the $$$ equipment,because this road looks expensive and I'm a raw rookie.It's fascinating how much you've all learned in the decades you've been hunting jewelry-the knowledge base is extraordinary.
    I don't understand 95% of your terms-but a lot of the finds are beautiful.
    *Gotta learn to slow down and explore the little stuff (piles of it all over !).

KSW, Figtree3 and mirana like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's also one of those things where you don't realize how much you know, until you turn around one day and people are looking at you like you're the expert.

KSW likes this.
  14. bosko69

That's a great point-you accumulate and accumulate knowledge,and one day you actually are an expert ! What do they say-it takes 10,000 hours to master something,be it playing guitar or studying jewelry.

KSW likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Mine were cheaper.:shy:

KSW likes this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Congrats on the find, @bosko69 ! And you also found a new area of interest to explore. Sometimes that is better than the object found.

KSW likes this.
  17. bosko69

I saw the '1900s 14k Tiger Head Enamel Brooch Pendant' posted spartcom5,the Etruscan Revival mosaic earrings & some of the delicate crucifixes you've all found.
    Even though my jewelry knowledge level's close to zero (!),the eye-catching big pieces at sales are gone in seconds,so small's are the best recourse & a new thing to learn about-perk up my old grey cells.
    PS-Obviously great pieces like that tiger brooch are 1 in a million in the junk bowl:eek::arghh::playful:... but it's all about the hunt.

Figtree3, mirana and KSW like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You’d be surprised, even the dealers ‘who think they know’ (@Ownedbybear :hilarious:) often miss good stuff. Often it’s a case of looking where others fear to tread- in that dirty box of tat or ratty orange box. Lots of treasures out there.

19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Haha. I identified a piece of Empoli glass the other day more by luck than good management. They then assumed I know all about glass and asked me about some other pieces that I was clueless about :rolleyes::confused:

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and mirana like this.
  20. bosko69

'look where others fear to tread- in that dirty box of tat or ratty orange box.'-KSW
    I found some fine stuff in dumpsters & crawlspaces when I was a kid (spider bites included).I still stick my fingers in dark scary places-my body just doesn't work in those 18 inch crawlspaces anymore !

Draft saved Draft deleted