Featured Little slipcast vole

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Houseful, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Thought this would be an easily identifiable mouse, but no, it’s a vole because it only has small ears and it’s open at the base so probably not the Beswick or Doulton brambly hedge figurine I thought it might be as I discover they all have mostly closed bases with backstamps. Could it be a candle snuffer because of the lack of base? Hobbyist piece? Made by?
    The I don’t know where else to look, 3 inches tall, 2 inches base diameter. U.K. a Charity shop buy for £3.99. Thanks.
    9489E693-8235-414E-BB84-EA880C6BAC89.jpeg B558F0D1-CDBA-4391-B562-C9587F147BCE.jpeg 292C41F2-D1D0-4F74-80C1-7355B9EF2F5E.jpeg 8745B3AE-85AB-48B7-B1B3-F529967BD6B5.jpeg EFCD1492-4211-42F4-8113-B51B0EB15512.jpeg 107B2FA0-225C-4400-92C1-1CCE128503E5.jpeg 68CFF3A3-9489-424D-B4CB-ABA15AD9DC62.jpeg FAB9749D-3F57-4C63-81DE-FAA5D3B0EB55.jpeg

Jivvy, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Interesting question. Maybe he's saying, "Make it go dark. I can't see anyway."

(Should have done that with an accent; Mr. Vole looks Veddy English...)

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Playing a supporting role in Wind in the Willows?

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A Beatrix Potter character maybe?

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I heard an accent, it sounded English to me. But I was already thinking of Beatrix Potter, that could have been it.:)

i need help likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

he's an old soul that vole,
    & needs a walking stick for control....so he doesn't step in a hole !

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And can fend off the mole? Or more likely a marauding moggie.

i need help likes this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Stuart Little?
    Oh wait, I recant! Thinking like an American again, and not internationally. :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    komokwa likes this.
  9. Houseful

I've been looking at Royal Albert, all the Beatrix Potters and Wind in the Willows, Brambly Hedge etc there is a Vole but he doesn't look like this one.
    I'm starting to think it might be a paint your own hobbyist piece, the painting is ok but not as good as the above potteries, the eyes do look a bit dead with no highlights. Thanks for the suggestions and poetry!

SBSVC and i need help like this.
  10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Just wondering if he's supposed to be OLD MOLE from BRAMBLY HEDGE, or if he's older than that?

ooops... sorry, Houseful, I guess not.. I was just trying to come up with another story that had a mole character...

i need help and Houseful like this.
  11. Houseful

He's definitely a Vole, Moles have big front digging claws and don't have tails like his. He's really sweet so I'm glad I bought him.

i need help and SBSVC like this.
  12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Shoot, Houseful - I meant VOLE!

I had a wonderful experience with a vole once, some years ago...

My cat Winston caught one and left it on the Jenn-Air grill in the kitchen for me to cook! (I did not cook it.... I put a pot over it & left it for DH to deal with!)

i need help and Houseful like this.
  13. Houseful

Here's Brambly Hedge Old Vole. He's got a stick but not any other similarities. I prefer mine despite the painting.
    image.jpg image.jpg

14. Houseful

You were lucky Winston left the head on. I remember our cat used to decapitate her catches.

15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Houseful, Winston would eat NOTHING "raw"! That's how I knew it was him... The others would have done a number on the little guy... :cat:

Houseful and i need help like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Winston had elevated tastes.

17. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Google: there is a story about a vole who wanted to marry the sun. It's there to read but I haven't yet.

Greek overtones...

Draft saved Draft deleted