Featured Lobster Claw Clasps How Old?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Jan 6, 2019.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    How long have lobster claw clasps been around? Are they old or fairly new? New within the last 20 years?
    I'm asking because of this amber and sterling piece (925 mark) - sorry, no photo of the mark, it just says 925. They don't have a blacklight and I'm not close enough to lend mine so the amber can't be checked that way.
    This isn't mine, just asking for a friend.
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    49491079_2296992940531677_6068180978361171968_n.jpg 49344472_2296993583864946_7262331540489633792_n.jpg 49564065_2296993390531632_5521195079076675584_n.jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The clasp has been around since the late 1950's.

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

CX, they're relatively new - but not just 20 years new...

I found this article that explains:

Lobster Claw

The Lobster Claw Clasp is probably the most commonly used in jewelry today due to its ease of use and unobtrusive size. It is a variation on the Spring Ring Clasp but with an elongated shape. Also known as Lobster Clasps, these work by using a finger to pull down on the lever along the side of the clasp long enough to hook it into an opposing ring, It got its name from its shape and the pinch-like action it takes to clasp it.

The history of this clasp is a storied one. Most Vintage & Antique Jewelry sources agree that Cartier introduced the teardrop style clasp in the late 1950's. It was later in the 1960's, when Italian gold became so popular in the US, that Americans were introduced to the more rectangular Lobster Clasp on a wide scale. Then, after 1990 it became more widely used on all jewelry regardless of country of origin.

The most common forms of the Lobster Claw Clasp (AKA Lobster Clasp) are the rectangular and tear-drop shapes:

lobster clasps.png

Variations on a Theme

There are probably as many variations on the lobster clasp as there are people making them. You may want a shape that works more fluidly with your overall design, that can be done, there are some stock shapes currently being created by Findings Manufacturers:

lobster clasps newer forms.png

http://lustigjewelers.blogspot.com/2015/02/lustigs-jewelry-glossary-findings.html

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you Hollyblue and SBSVC:) so maybe the bracelet has some age to it?

pearlsnblume, Sandra, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

CX, something about those beads makes me think newer, but I'm sure someone else here will know better than I. (I think it's very pretty.)

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I'm with you SBSVC, I think newer too:) I don't think the amber looks right and I'm suspect on it being silver - hope I'm wrong.

SBSVC and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There's something about the look of the ring the clasp attaches to that makes me think the bracelet was made in the last 20 years, even if lobster claw clasps have been around longer.

cxgirl and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, not very old, but a few decades don't matter that much with amber jewellery after the Modernist era.
    The amber could be modified amber. Modified amber is allowed to be called amber, just not natural amber.
    Here is a site on Baltic amber classification, by the Polish amber association (in English):

https://www.amber.org.pl/en/klasyfikacja

Although the amber in the bracelet is probably not Baltic (Mexican, maybe?), the names of the techniques given by the Polish amber association are generally accepted.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    cxgirl, Bronwen and Phaik Hooi like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They really didn't get into general use till the early 1990s. That looks like reconstituted amber, and that chain is very recent. I know there's a word for it, I cal it plughole chain. ;) Silver looks ok, it's probably rhodium plated to stop tarnish.

SBSVC, cxgirl, Sandra and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Just 'ball chain' I think.

i need help likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's more boring than mine. ;)

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for all the replies folks:)

i need help and SBSVC like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

But it's pretty and I love the presentation!!!!:):singing:

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ditto

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted