Long black glass bead necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Tricia Harr, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Tricia Harr

Tricia Harr Well-Known Member

this necklace is super long, black Glass, no clasp.. approx 62" long
    31" when wearing.. is there a type of name of this type? approx age if you can help..
    TIA ALL!! 2019-04-04-15-51-59.jpg 2019-04-04-15-52-12.jpg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Very beautiful, maybe a flapper in mourning necklace? Just a wag! :shame:

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Black was very fashionable during the flapper period, so maybe not in mourning.;)
    Tricia, are the decorated beads also glass? They look like metal.:confused:

antidiem, i need help and judy like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I dunno. To me, the metal ones don't consort with the black ones: they look tribal. I surmise this was made by someone.

i need help likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Could be. I wonder if the metal looking beads are actually metal. I have seen similar ethnic style beads that were actually some kind of plastic. If these are, they are fairly recent.

i need help likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The wee seed beads could be any age. The faceted ones may well be older french jet, hm?

antidiem and i need help like this.
  7. Tricia Harr

The larger ones are silver I think, no markings but I took my silver polishing cloth and they shine up nice.. now the small black ones might be glass, but the larger black ones seem to be plastic.. but this necklace feels very lightweight, with all the glass beads looks like it should be heavier?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Tricia Harr

The larger ones are silver I think, no markings but I took my silver polishing cloth and they shine up nice.. now the small black ones might be glass, but the larger black ones seem to be plastic.. but this necklace feels very lightweight, with all the glass beads looks like it should be heavier?

9. Any Jewelry

Most metals do with a silver polishing cloth. They could be silver, possibly low grade, but without a test....
    If the larger black ones are plastic, and the metal beads hollow, there is not much weight. The small beads are glass, but they are small.:)

kyratango and i need help like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It doesn't look old to me at all. The beads are all wrong for 1920s and dead on for 1980s or even a little later.

11. Any Jewelry

It isn't old.
    Yes, especially those ethnic style beads. They started appearing ca 1990 I think.

kyratango likes this.
  12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes they look it too with a second look. I guess I just read the description said "Glass" LOL! :hilarious::hilarious:

If metal, I think it's MUCH MORE RECENT!! :singing:

kyratango likes this.
  13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

It seems the faceted black ones may be real jet, if lightweight, French jet is black glass, heavy! Plus, the facets are crisp, too much for plastic:cyclops::peeking::)

14. Tricia Harr

yes, to look at it you would think it's a heavy necklace, but actually it's very lightweight

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted