Featured Long dangly brass pin with studded beads

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by drg642, May 16, 2022.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Any thoughts as to age and origin of this pin? It's big, almost 6 inches long. I can't tell what the beads are made from, but the coral color is applied to a yellow-ish color base. They look like they should be glass, but a tooth tap did not really say one way or the other. I've searched brass chain pin, and studded bead pin, and don't know what else to search for. Below my photos there are a few worthpoint links of the most similar I found, but they really aren't that similar, to me.

Thanks for any help with this.

aach1 - Copy.JPG aach2.JPG aach3.JPG aach4.JPG

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-jewelry-brooch-1940s-brass-2923914166

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-czech-glass-brass-filligree-3824123562

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-lavalier-chandelier-victorian-1868616482

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nor to me. It is an unusual brooch with some very nice details.

The pin hinge and clasp look ca 1930 to me, give or take.
    The beads held in chains and the shape of the dangles look Chinese-inspired. Chinese jewellery was popular at the time, and Western makers were inspired by Chinese themes. The Neiger brothers in Czechoslovakia, for instance.

I don't know where your brooch was made, but my guess would be the US.

Figtree3 and Ce BCA like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Never seen similar. Was this purchased at the same sale as the pin with the glass flowers?

Could the orange balls be some kind of hollow metal?

First thought from the pinback like AJ, 1930s.

Whenever a manufacturer takes the trouble to put the decorative pattern on the back of the piece as well, you know it's a somewhat better maker. What an interesting brooch!

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you both. No, different sale from the glass flowers pin. I don't think the beads are metal. I would say glass or some kind of plastic. Hard to tell - I can't get a good tooth tap with all the orange coating.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Any Jewelry

I don't think it is that old, with that type of pin, which looks original to me. It isn't part of a regional costume either.

7. Any Jewelry

I was also thinking (early) plastic, with a lacquer look.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

It has the shape and large size of the stomachers I just looked at, but seems quite a bit less fancy.

9. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

There's a good chance the design of that chain link is patented...it's similar to an industrial chain I have, but yours is simpler. If you can find that patent, you'll have a no-earlier-than date for your interesting and lovely piece. Good Luck!

Born2it likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say late 20s or early 30s at the latest from the color of the goldtone. The dangles... painted celluloid maybe?

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

The chain design is pretty neat, I had not really noticed it before.

They could be painted celluloid. They are very hard, not crushable, so maybe a more sturdy plastic than celluloid.

Draft saved Draft deleted