Featured Long video on refinishing an antique table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by evelyb30, Aug 26, 2021.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I can't believe I sat and watched a lot of this, but the nice wood gateleg looked older than dirt to me and the top really did need some help. Looks like this guy knows what he's doing.

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Phew @evelyb30!!!! You're right!!! Loooong video, which I skipped through some of, but DO LIKE how it came out!!!

3. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Tom Johnson is the best!

James Conrad likes this.
  4. evelyb30

I'm actually watching the whole thing in spurts. I like his voice.

James Conrad likes this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees, he's an odd duck but knows his trade and has a whole series of Youtube videos. I like watching him too, informative as well as entertaining.

6. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

What a great table and I'm so glad he took the time to refinish it and give it a new life. Beautiful!

James Conrad likes this.
  7. evelyb30

That's one case where refinishing made sense; he said the table had been redone a few times and felt like someone used motor oil on the poor beastie.

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

That's what happens when you slather on linseed oil (motor oil) every year or so, it never fully dries and is a magnet for whatever is floating round the house.
    He fought it the whole way trying to get a decent modern finish on that table, he hung in there and conquered it eventually.

NewEngland likes this.
  9. evelyb30

They used to put linseed on old furniture, and from the looks of it even old linseed still causes headaches. Why am I suddenly hearing the old Girl Scout tune about the Baby Bumblebee. ("It's STILL sticky!") I learned it somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted