Featured 'Longacre' Painting ?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Drew, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, there you go. Grandchildren didn't want it. I think great find. Very attractive. Artist died in 1980 so the 1979 date works.

Debora

2. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

If this is the same person he obviously took up painting in his Retirement years. 63 when the landscapes were painted and 87 when the ship painting was done.

3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for all the input on this..... it's rewarding to fill in the history of an unlisted amateur artist - often it's lost to time. some of my favorite paintings are works which are not in known artist references. This thread now provides information to future inquiry's.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You know Longacre lived and worked in Philadelphia. Bet he was influenced by N.C. Wyeth. Here's one of his ships for comparison. And may be reason work looks so old fashion. (At least to my eye.)

Debora

Unknown.jpg

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Thanks Debora . . . yes his work has a Wyeth feel for sure.

6. Curt Longacre

Curt Longacre New Member

Hi Drew. Robert Neff Longacre (1892-1980) was my grandfather. His art covered a range of subject material, but he liked painting ships. Attached is another one of his paintings. An interesting fact is that he was legally blind when he painted that (with no vision in one eye and only 10% tunnel vision in the other eye). If you are interested in learning more, feel free to contact me. Curt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you, Curt, for adding to this thread. Always so interesting when a family member joins in and shares information. We enjoyed seeing your grandfather's work.

Debora

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Curt Longacre, smallaxe and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted