Featured Longwy. Just wow!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Jan 26, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I'd never come across Longwy before until about an hour ago when I found this. It's just beautiful. Diameter at rim is 24cm.

IMG20240126152726_copy_833x1112.jpg IMG20240126152733_copy_931x1242.jpg IMG20240126152737_copy_969x1293.jpg IMG20240126152740_copy_948x1265.jpg IMG20240126152743_copy_900x1200.jpg IMG20240126152751_copy_913x1217.jpg

KylieS, judy, stracci and 9 others like this.
  2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I like Longwy a lot. Made to imitate cloisonne, I think.

3. Chinoiserie

There's a definite Chinese influence, which was what my first instinct was. Tempting to start collecting but don't think I have a big enough wallet.

judy and kentworld like this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Longwy's beautiful stuff and I agree on the prices-too big for my pension. I've got to find some good Chinese forgers online so that I can afford the stuff !
    PS-If you found this cheap,big congrats-You def put in the hours.

judy, kyratango and Chinoiserie like this.
  5. Chinoiserie

£5.50 and 24.5 pairs of shoes.

I had a good look around all the other shops just to check someone hasn't dropped off a bin bag full. It is a Jewish run shop so will now be closed until Sunday morning. I will be there first thing with my face pressed against the window.

judy, kyratango and kentworld like this.
  6. bosko69

24.50 good for a pair of shoes ? I always stayed away from reselling clothes-I've heard the buyers are super,super picky re condition (?).
    PS-Apparels all the local kids buy/resell,they're experts at current style micro-trends & know exactly what to buy & for how much.

judy and Chinoiserie like this.
  7. Chinoiserie

No sorry. I went through 24.5 pairs of shoes looking for this bowl. I've often thought of selling clothes instead but the interest isn't really there for me. A lot easier to package though and difficult for couriers to break. I've bought the odd bit. Found a nice TNF gilet once for 6 quid. I also tend to go for retro ski ware too if the price is right.

judy likes this.
  8. bosko69

Some of the local pickers will buy several carts a day at my closest thrift-they work in teams of 2-3.They prob list several hundred garments or more a week-they work damned hard-I think I'd rather just get a job !

9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I started on eBay in 1999 selling my kids clothes and soon began selling vintage adult clothing, too. It is indeed a hassle! All the measuring, photographing and describing every imperfection... not to mention the cleaning and ironing beforehand. And then getting a buyer that complains or wants a return because it doesn't fit or (supposedly) finds a tiny imperfection that you missed. And of course there are those buyers that purchase for a one-time event, secretly wear the garment, and then want to return due to some made-up complaint. Ebay forces a return even if the seller has a "no return" policy.
    I sold regularly for about 15 years back when the money was good. But then my life circumstances changed and I no longer had the time to sell. I have lots of stock stored in my basement for "someday" but prices realized are nowhere near what they used to be. Ah well... a future retirement activity, I suppose.
    I still harbor a strong affinity for 1930s/40s dresses!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  10. Chinoiserie

Yeah it can be hard work. I sold an oversized down puffer to someone. It was described as Size medium which is what the label stated but over sized and gave dimensions arm pit to armpit and top of zip to hem. I also emphasized that it was oversized and that it would fit a couple sizes or more above medium.. they complained that it was too big and wanted a refund. They made the mistake of requesting a refund as it was the wrong size rather than it wasn't as described. This allowed me to refuse the refund. No further disputes are permitted after that I'd closed. All went quiet then two weeks later it all started. All sorts of accusations such as I deliberately put the wrong size in the listing. Why would I do that? Surely it's in my best interests for clothes to fit the buyer? "I'm on the phone to an eBay agent now'. "Okay tell them to phone me when you're done" It all died down eventually. They'd be better selling it on to someone else anyway. At least they'd get their postage back.

judy and bluumz like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

One reason I never sold much in the way of clothes - renters. Whenever I did sell them it was a crapshoot. I've got enough problems without that. Then I started consigning them ... and the store owner turned out to be a crook who stole anything worth stealing (including my $600+ Celine bag) and booked. Left owing thousands in rent, thousands to consignors, and thousands to the electric company. I give up on wearables.

judy likes this.
  12. kentworld

Score!!

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, Chin, great find.:happy:
    It looks Turkish-inspired to me, google Iznik ceramics.;)

14. Chinoiserie

I just love that blue/green background. So rich and inviting.

I have come across Iznik ceramics before. I normally just reject any Turkish or greek items I come across as touristy souvenirs and I have come across plenty. Maybe I should show more interest in future

judy likes this.
  15. kentworld

Yes, that gorgeous turquoise is Iznik inspired, but the particular surface does seem to have a bit of a cloisonne effect. [​IMG]

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The floral motifs and leaves too.
    Yes it does. I believe there is a term for this technique, which I can't remember.:banghead:

Chinoiserie and kentworld like this.
  17. kentworld

I wish I could remember it, too! :D

Chinoiserie and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Kind of like tube lining, but kind of not.

Chinoiserie and kentworld like this.
  19. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I was excited when I first saw this thread. I had to wait until I could take a closeup of the little trinket dish I have in one of my booths. I would imagine Longwy is not common here in the states and I can't remember just where I found it but it just jumped out at me, I knew I had to have it! It's about 3" in diameter. 20240201_143737.jpg

Linda

komokwa, kentworld, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  20. Chinoiserie

Aye. I can defo see the likeness. I think it might be us copying the Turks copying the Chinese with all those chrysanthemums or peonies.

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted