Featured Look at me! I'm a pottery collector!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by GaleriaGila, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I used to run into a couple of guys here in Denver that collected McCoy - their entire house was full, including what had been their front porch that they made into another room.
    They had nearly (if not all) everything McCoy ever made. It was stunning.

GaleriaGila likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

They're the perfect bird... they fly, walk, float, swim, and "talk" ("AFLAC!").

dgbjwc likes this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When I started "collecting" glass and pottery I realized I needed help to keep them clean, so I started collecting lawyers bookcases only had to dust once a year. I had 11 of them from 3 tiers to 7 tiers.
    greg

yourturntoloveit and GaleriaGila like this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I've been trying to get mine under glass - every time a curio cabinet seems to be going cheap at auction my hand goes up! And the other problem is I'm acquiring items faster than I'm acquiring cabinets! :shame:

Joe2007, Makanudo and GaleriaGila like this.
  5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Very impressive collection of McCoy pottery! Like the wall pockets on the right side of the photo. How long have you been collecting McCoy?

6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Me too. I've been trying to acquire a Globe Wernicke barristers bookcase for a while now but am always outbid. Might have to go out and purchase a brand new Amish built barristers bookcase that is only a few hundred more.

GaleriaGila likes this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Joe - I've been collecting about 20 years - since just shortly before it became popular. I've probably got about two dozen wall pockets but none that are really rare.
    Don

GaleriaGila likes this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Joe,
    All of my Globe Wernicke barristers were all bought at yard sales and church sales. I never bought one on line sine they are toooo expensive. The cheapest one was a three section with no top for 10 bucks. It was fine since I had a two section with a top but no foot. Good luck in hunting.
    greg

GaleriaGila likes this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

We have a three section with no top or bottom. It's sitting on top of a sideboard, with a shelf as a substitute top.

When I bought the three sections in the late '60s, I could have purchased a top and bottom, plus more sections, for a very reasonable price. But we were in Newport, RI, for the summer weekend folk festival and had four people in a little Opal station wagon. As it was, it was interesting driving back to Delaware with the three sections and our luggage! :eek:

GaleriaGila and gregsglass like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Boy, that brings back memories. I had a '68 Opel station wagon in college. It was surprisingly big for being so tiny. Did a lot in the back of that car .... :rolleyes:

Just about identical to this one.....
    [​IMG]

The barrister bookcases have come way down in price around here. Used to be they ran about $100.00 a stack plus more $$ for the top and bottom. Now, you can get a 3 or 4 stack with top and bottom in good condition for less than $200.00

Makanudo and GaleriaGila like this.
  11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Cute car!

*singing in an off-key soprano*
    "Memmmmmmm-reeeeeezzzz..."

Draft saved Draft deleted