Looking for any information..

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Alyson Damery-Ouellette, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Have another one I am looking for information on and have no idea where to start.. 20200612_160848.jpg

2. This is on the back of the frame 20200612_162810_edited.jpg

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Any chance that it's signed lower left?

4. Bakersgma

How long have you had it? Where/how did you get it?

5. It always hung in my Granmother's house in St. John New Brunswick .. then passed to my mom and when she passed I hung it on my wall

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's behind glass. I'd expect a print. Is it?

Debora

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

W. Scott & Sons appears to have been a very reputable art dealer. Oil paintings are typically not placed behind glass. Can you see brush strokes? Is the surface raised?

Debora

9. raised/thick border and yes behind glass

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Artist appears to be "Charles Macintosh" but hard to use for internet search because of "Charles Rennie."

Debora

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "raised/thick border"?

Debora

12. my apologies... in the first picture above .. I was referring to the gold mat
    Aly

13. Bakersgma

I am going to suggest watercolor.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

You have suggested right!

Scott sold all the impressionists, major 19th c art dealer, I have an oil from their gallery; this w/c is a bit later than my piece judging by the label but still turn of the centuryish.
    This watercolour is by John Macintosh Macintosh. He has a thing for pollard willow and lane scenes and this is pretty typical.

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted