Featured Looking for clues on age and origin of this mod enamel brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by quirkygirl, Nov 20, 2017.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Sorry, not an antique ... but the members of this group know sooooo much about items that aren't yet antique ... I hope you will forgive me for posting this here.

Watching this for a month ... waiting for it to go ½ off - wasn't pricey at all to begin with, but I didn't dig how a sliver of the catch is visible from the front ... so I let fate decide - and now ... it's my own personal non-traditional Christmas pin :D ... until I tire of it and decide to sell it, that is ;)

No markings, other than a small raised "T32" on the back, I'm guessing silverplated ... but not sure. The pin parts look to be added on, so I really don't know if it was intended to be a brooch originally or not. The white bumpy enamel looks to be on top of a smoother olive green enamel.

I must not be using the correct combination of words to search for info on this, as I can find nothing similar. It looks mid-20th century design to me, but who knows?

Any help towards figuring this out would be much appreciated. :)

P1130308(1).JPG P1130309(1).JPG P1130311(1).JPG P1130317(1).JPG P1130312(1).JPG
    showing how it is slightly 'domed' ... both top to bottom and side to side ...
    P1130315(1).JPG P1130316(1).JPG

Thanks for looking and for any clues to who? when? where?

Christmasjoy, cxgirl, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

VERY cool!!! :)
    I'd wear it!

Christmasjoy, judy and quirkygirl like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wow, I love this.

Cannot help with the maker, but almost certainly 1950's-1970's.

Possibly Norwegian with that enamel?

Of no help whatsoever, but I had a (non Xmas) piece similar to this once. Matching earrings, was 1950's. Mine didn't have the enamel, but had a modernist design silver insert, same black background. It was very high end feeling in the hand, long gone I'm afraid. Also I don't think mine was signed in any way, but recall thinking that it wasn't U.S. made. Might have nothing to do with this piece, but does remind me of it.

Hoping the T32 is a clue for someone. Anyone know if there is a word for that black background section? Could be a way to search possibly.

Would not be shocked to discover that parts of this are sterling.

Modernist holiday pin -- what a great score!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Christmasjoy, cxgirl, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It looks like it was die stamped and probably hundreds made.

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I don't see inexpensive mass produced pins with enamel like that. This looks like a nicer piece to my eye.

6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm seeing some T32 marked items listed on eBay as a Tallinn Estonia Jeweler's mark.

Christmasjoy, komokwa, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  7. quirkygirl

Thanks.
    I could see this as a gender-neutral pin.

Christmasjoy, judy and KingofThings like this.
  8. quirkygirl

Thanks! I thought that time period too when I first saw it

The dark background looks to me to be intentional oxidation, like I would get with liver of sulfur on silver. I want to polish up the snowflakes and border of the tree, but am afraid to accidentally polish the background area.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Christmasjoy, judy and KingofThings like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd try a good old thumb in that case, as in sitting somewhere and using the pin like a worry stone. The acid in your skin will take off the tarnish and leave the blackening alone. The tarnish will of course deposit itself on your finger, but that's what soap is for. The front looks like silver to me too.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Quirky! Can you clean up in the channel where I have the arrows pointing?? It looks like it says something there...........maybe with a q-tip??? I know, I could be all wet too!!!! Worth a try!! zP1130311(1)-A.jpg

11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I’d switch gears then. ;)

Christmasjoy, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  12. quirkygirl

OK, I'll see if using the term 'die stamped' brings any more relevant results in my search. Thanks, Hollyblue!

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  13. quirkygirl

Ooooo, really?! I'll go check this out and see what I can find. Thanks, aaroncab! :)

14. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Seen some similar made by Inna s, Tallin Estonia as aaroncab said.

Christmasjoy, komokwa, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  15. quirkygirl

I don't know how you did it ... but that name actually brought up a match for mine! Last brooch shown on this Pinterest page of vintage Estonian brooches is the same as mine! https://www.pinterest.ca/innasmirnova127/estonian-brooches/

Not sure if she is the artist or if those are just pic.s she took and 'pinned' to one of her boards. On her main page it appears that she may be in Palo Alto, CA.

Thank you, @Houseful ... Even with the info. from aaroncab I was not pulling up anything but spoons and the like.

16. quirkygirl

Exploring further found one that sold on Estonia's version of eBay for 11 EUR in 2014. Not much info provided, but it confirms my thoughts that I do not want to remove the oxidation around the tree ... also shows what was possibly the original pin mechanism.
    https://osta-ee.postimees.ee/eesti-pross-3-74-9-47505913.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. quirkygirl

Thanks for looking, Aquitaine! Polished that area with a bit of Sunshine cloth ... nothing there ... but as you stated, it was worth a try :) - I'd show a photo, but camera battery is recharging.

18. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted