Looking for help dating this dresser..

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by stfx12, Jul 9, 2016.

1. stfx12

stfx12 Member

I purchased this at a yard sale for $50. My plan right now is to sand it down and re-finish it.
    It's solid wood. The mirror is attached to the back but I had to take it off to take it home. The glass in the mirror is beveled.
    Not sure if those wood sticks in the back are part of the original piece or if someone added them on there.
    I believe it's a dresser, the drawers are actually pretty low which is different. It is on wheels and seem like they have always been part of the dresser - unfortunately the wheels are very loud and creaky..

It needs a little TLC, but I think overall it's in pretty good shape

Does anyone know what the original purpose of something like this would be? Also any clues on how to date something like this. There are no marks that I could identify about who made it or where it is from.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dresser1.jpg
    Dresser2.jpg
    Dresser 3.jpg Dresser 4.jpg dresser 5.jpg Dresser 6.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

A lovely turn of the century oak dresser , it will last forever ! Im wondering if that light colored spot in the middle of the mirror brace had a little drawer at one time ?

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How did the mirror attach to the base?

4. stfx12

stfx12 Member

It was attached using one of those wooden sticks thats on the back. It was only attached by one screw so it wasn't sturdy at all. There are screw holes in the back of the dresser, so I believe it was attached there and someone added the sticks as a reinforcement?

5. Bakersgma

Perhaps a sign that the mirror is not original to the dresser? Do those 2 small holes along the bottom of the mirror support match to the ones on the back of the dresser?

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

You can see a gap on the top of the dresser where I think it goes .

7. Bakersgma

Yes, I figured it sat on the "lip." But why was it held on one only 1 screw through the "stick" on the back (which does not align with the other 2 screw holes on the back of the "top" of the dresser?) Just seems odd to me.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Mirror looks original to me . Only used one screw on the uprights since the mirror fit down behind the back edge of the top. There were two additional screws through the base of the mirror into the edge of the top. You can see the holes. Not oak. Appears to be maple or birch. The drawer pulls are not original. Agree with the circa 1900 date.

stfx12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted