Looking for help deciphering a name on the back of an old photo

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by gabatgh, Jul 17, 2020.

1. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

Hiya folks :)

We picked up a bunch of 125+/- year old pictures of the same woman, with different people in different pictures (we think they're family). On the back of one of the pics is writing, which we think is her name but we cannot decipher it.

We're hoping someone, or some people, with more experience could do it...

In my pic, the top part is the pic that I took, and the bottom one seems the best version I can get out of Google Photos to see it better.
    Untitled.png

Thanks so much!

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Lillie & (friend)? Other word ?aoh/k A place name?

3. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I'd say Sallie. Not sure of rest.

Barbara Miller and Bronwen like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Please post the photograph on which her name is written. Names go in and out of fashion. Being able to see the period in which she was photographed will help decipher her name.

Debora

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

Here's one of the tintypes in the group.
    Untitled.png

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I would say mid to late 1890s for the tintype. 1895 or later. Any chance we can see the photo with the handwriting, including the card mount? I looked at the pictures of the handwriting but the fiber of the paper is close up and is interfering with my ability to make out what it says. Photos can sometimes be dated by card mount type, colors, fonts used in photographer logo, etc.

Firemandk likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, late Victorian. I didn't realize tintypes were around that late.

Debora

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Figtree3

Yes, there were even some in the 20th century. Although increasingly they were mostly offered at tourist sites and attractions.

Firemandk likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wikipedia.org acknowledges that "...lesser use of the medium persisted into the early 20th century..."

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It would probably be helpful to see a few more shots of the signature. I see something like Sallie L(o) (?) Groh. There was someone named Sallie L Groh in PA Google says.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

If that's Sallie Groh, I'ma gonna need a doctor. I have this link open on my computer for a cookbook I'm researching to sell.
    https://www.newspapers.com/clip/37491916/intelligencer-journal/

12. say_it_slowly

Maybe you're just sending psychic waves over your computer:eek:

Figtree3 and Firemandk like this.
  13. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Stranger things have happened @gabatgh , like finding a mason jar with $21 behind a wood pile , a "music box" that played happy birthday using the mechanism in one of those Mattel "jack in the box", all the day before my 21st birthday in my cousin's deceased grandmother's house ...... still gives me goose bumps at age 59 !

14. gabatgh

gabatgh Active Member

Here's three of the pics. Just to be clear, the tintype is on the left, the glass covered pic (the one with the writing) is in the middle. We have two of the one in the paper frame, and the backs of both of them are sealed.
    Untitled.png

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Based on clothing, I think the one in the frame was taken later than the others. The lines of their clothing seem to be more towards the 1910-1920 era. If so, the girl in the photo would not be the same girl. (But maybe you didn't think that she was, anyway.)

16. say_it_slowly

You know, I'm sticking with Sallie L. Groh. I found this bit of information for Sallie L. Fink (b 1880) who married Henry F. Groh and seems to have been know as Sallie L. Groh. They had a daughter Ella S. Groh born 1909. So could the sig be Sallie L. (Fink) Groh?

I have no idea really. What do you think? Perhaps a few more photos of the sig would help.

https://bergergirls.com/getperson.php?personID=I177459&tree=Strausstown

Sallie L Fink
    [​IMG] 1880 - 1961
    • Born 19 Sep 1880 Berks County, Pennsylvania [​IMG]
      Gender Female
      Died 28 Oct 1961 Hamburg, Berks County, Pennsylvania [​IMG]
      Buried 01 Nov 1961 Saint John's Cemetery, Hamburg, Berks County, Pennsylvania [​IMG]
      Family Henry F Groh, b. 14 Dec 1876, Windsor Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania [​IMG], d. 03 Mar 1955, Hamburg, Berks County, Pennsylvania [​IMG]
      Married 15 Apr 1905 Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania [​IMG]
      Children
      1. Ella S Groh, b. 08 Oct 1909, Nazareth, Northampton County, Pennsylvania [​IMG], d. 14 Mar 2001, Tilden Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania [​IMG]
    https://bergergirls.com/showmedia.php?mediaID=19539&medialinkID=18263
    Groh -- Henry F. - 1876-1955 -- Sallie L. - 1880-1961
    upload_2020-7-20_12-52-18.png

BoudiccaJones and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Barbara Miller

Barbara Miller New Member

Scan and copy a pic of the signature then try tracing on top of the letters. Sometimes it will look more clear as to what is written when you do that. I agree with the above posts that the one name is Sallie.

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm seeing Tillie not Sallie

19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm with you in not seeing the first letter as S, although still inclined to my original L. I think what makes Sallie appealing is that the second letter looks rounded with no dot, an a or o. Could be Lollie & could be a nickname, not the name a genealogy search could find.

20. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

lol lie Le Frank Gouh?

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted