Looking for Help on Dutch Boy and Girl Shakers

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by dgbjwc, Aug 8, 2017.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello All! I am looking for help with these little salt and pepper shakers. They measure about 2 1/2" tall. The boy is unmarked. The girl is marked but it's difficult to make out. There is the number 800 or 008. There is also a DEP mark and partial crown. The final mark is a faint six pointed star with what looks like a skull in the center. I'm afraid the only one that really shows up in the picture are the numbers. I've included two pictures of the base in case one shows the marks better than another. Anyway, I would appreciate any help in letting me know time frame, material, etc. Thanks in advance!
    Don

IMG_20170808_173902713.jpg IMG_20170808_174111643.jpg IMG_20170808_173917662.jpg IMG_20170808_173950987.jpg

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Don, I have a pair "sort of" similar to yours. Mine fill from the bottom tho - no hinges at the neck.

They are marked simply 800 - no other marks anywhere. I have a single, too - an accordion player - (also marked simply 800) who "lives" with them:

img0 (195).jpg

I'm afraid I've never looked into their history, so maybe you & I can both find out!

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I checked both of the online sources I have for German marks and the only ones with a maker's mark of a six pointed star have letters inside. Most have a single capital letter. Any chance that skull is actually a letter? Like maybe a G?

toomanytocount likes this.
  4. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

Germany, ditto.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Germany.
    Apart from the 800 and star maker's mark, both point towards Germany, the girl is wearing a German helmet.:D
    Don, I think it is very nice of you to lend her some of your flowers to decorate the helmet.:)

6. toomanytocount

@AJ
    German helmet??? Too funny....lol
    My take was the crown, they have a very specific crown hallmark design. I wondered if other country's have separate marks for silver, some for large items, some for small items in Europe?:smug: I know France does.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes some of them do. The Dutch do as well, but these aren't Dutch. But frankly I can't even make out where the marks are on these, apart from 800.:(:confused:

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses folks. I found out my 800 is the symbol for coin silver which is 80% silver as opposed to sterling which is 925. I cleaned the bottom with a silver wipe and it did a pretty good job. Getting the photo, though, caused me to use words I rarely use (alright maybe not rarely). But I was able to get a shot that is a little better. The star mark is directly below the 800, the DEP is next to the star, and the crown mark is directly under the DEP. With your help I was able to find a coin silver marks sight and it sure does look German. I can not make out the letter in the star but I'm not sure the exact maker would matter much anyway. I've got my time frame and country of manufacturer. Should be good enough. As shakers they leave a lot to be desired. The heads flop back with the slightest movement so you'd get all your salt or pepper at once. You've all been helpful - thank you.

I had to lend that poor child some flowers. She looks like she has quite the attitude. Anyone that wants flowers can stop by. I always have something blooming. Right now it's yellow roses, rose of sharon, purple asters, and yellow mums.

IMG_20170809_162154539.jpg

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

When you list them, use only the term ".800" silver, not "coin silver." "Coin" is most commonly applied in the US to silver items of approximately 90% fineness and originated in the supposed practice of smiths melting silver coins to work with.

I've never seen "coin" applied to European wares.

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Bakersgma! I had no idea. I haven't decided whether to clean them up and keep them or put them up for sale. I have to keep repeating to myself, "You can't keep everything...You can't keep everything...You can't keep everything."
    Don

judy, SBSVC, Bakersgma and 1 other person like this.
  11. toomanytocount

I can't buy everything....and repeat, but would love these. Really sweet figural silver shakers. :)

dgbjwc likes this.