Looking for help on teapot, bowl and pouring bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Horzverti, May 31, 2021.

1. Horzverti

Horzverti New Member

767C295C-5EBB-43E4-9039-927F5C99DA4D.jpeg 1013D55F-2FBF-4A7B-9F42-560D81DF5BBF.jpeg C7A9E265-6E94-4DD2-8DFF-20EBA9373ECD.jpeg BA3F4864-0AA6-4485-9EF7-77E60D4C539F.jpeg Hi,

I am seeking more info on these pieces. I don’t have a lot of experience in these type of items so maybe I am missing a keyword or other specifics in my search. I haven’t found any like them online. My “maroon Chinese teapot“ searches yielded exactly zero pics of these pieces. LOL

Are they vintage or more modern?

Are the identifying characters on the bottom Chinese characters?

What is their value?

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You have a teapot, an open sugar and a creamer.

3. Horzverti

Horzverti New Member

Thanks Bakersgma. I know what they are, but I am trying to determine when and where they were made.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Whoa.....
    you say....maybe I am missing a keyword...:hungry:

a teapot, an open sugar and a creamer...are good keywords !!!:)

teapot, bowl and pouring bowl..... are not as good !:meh:

All replies have value here....helping lead us to finding answers..!!!:joyful:

It takes a village ! ;):happy::happy:

6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It is Nagoya style porcelain from Japan, it looks very much like early Noritake, although I don't recall them ever using a mark like this. Central character is 'mura' last character is 'made' but I'm having trouble with the first.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think the open sugar may have come with a lid originally. The rim is different from the creamer, which is supposed to be open, but the same as the teapot which presumably once had a lid.

8. Horzverti

Horzverti New Member

Thanks to all for the information and the link to help narrow my search.

I think that I had convinced myself that the marks on the bottom were Chinese. That helps to explain why my searches were not successful.

I am hoping that I will be able to date them. I will continue my digging online.

I haven’t found their two lids yet. I am not sure that they are still intact or even around. There is another box of wrapped fragile items like these which we were going to donate. I think that I may need to go through and unwrap each piece to see if the lids are in there. I pulled these items from the rest because they were just so different and very nice looking. They really stood out.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The style dates around 1905 to 1920.

10. Horzverti

Horzverti New Member

Wow, 100 years old! Now what to do with them. I’d like for them to go to an interested collector. What is their value and is there a market for them?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  11. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I agree Japanese Nippon style early 20th century

Horzverti likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"Nippon" can only be Japanese, since the word is the name of Japan in the native language. ;)

Any Jewelry and Horzverti like this.
  13. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Horzverti and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Horzverti

Horzverti New Member

Can anyone share their thoughts on value for this three piece set? With or without the two tops?

Thanks

15. Horzverti

Horzverti New Member

I believe the first character is Shima. The full mark reads “made by Shimamura”. I am getting closer!

Update: I’ve been told that the lids “should” be wrapped safely and in another box. Still looking for that box.

Draft saved Draft deleted