Looking for help with old Asian poster

Discussion in 'Art' started by Crim000, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Crim000

Crim000 Active Member

If anyone can help with translation on this advertisement poster it is appreciated. Or any other information F95BE46A-7256-402A-B9B8-694F541FF494.jpeg FEF41DA7-CB85-4389-8259-BCCC0F5649AF.jpeg F217F9E8-7554-4C91-B30B-AF5708D749DF.jpeg BC1F16C7-EFF1-4A11-8A74-FE8A69A71C3D.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Chinese.

Debora

Figtree3, Crim000 and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

These are widely reproduced and available in any Chinatown. Originals are rarely seen in my experience.

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

In the early part of the 20th century (into the 1920's & 1930's) Hatamen was one of the cigarette brand names used by the British American Tobacco Company (BAT) in Shanghai. The young women on their posters and calendar were famously portrayed in a way that seemed "westernized" for the times, and there was much controversy about the fact that Hatamen cigarettes were produced by a "western" firm, even tho they were made with Chinese tobacco and Chinese labor.

The posters and calendars were considered very collectible at the time, and as Blooey has pointed out, they have been widely reproduced in the years since.

There's some good info about Hatamen in a book called Selling Happiness: Calendar Posters and Visual Culture in Early 20th Century Shanghai by Ellen Johnston Laing, University of Hawaii Press, 2004. You can see some of it on Google Books:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=-wUJKgG5PHsC&pg=PA171&lpg=PA171&dq=bat+cigarettes+hatamen&source=bl&ots=D8_Wh1gdxz&sig=ACfU3U21a4D2I7kepx9IuNfABldZWSxkGg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiP99r5uNXoAhWplHIEHWg3CTwQ6AEwFXoECA0QNQ#v=onepage&q=bat cigarettes hatamen&f=false

Another book, also with some excerpts available on Google Books, has a little more info, too: Cigarettes, Inc. : An Intimate History of Corporate Imperialism by Nan Enstad, University of Chicago Press, 2018.

Figtree3, Crim000, blooey and 4 others like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The OP's does look to have some age. And it appears to be hanging. A photograph of the top and back might be helpful.

Debora

Crim000 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

@Debora The repro's reproduce the soiling, age etc and have thin metal bars top and bottom, just like this one.

Figtree3, Debora and Crim000 like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is the only one I could find on internet. Supposed to be 1920s/1930s. Think 1920s a bit early.

Debora

2260275350_e4ff90582e_b.jpg

Crim000 likes this.
  8. Crim000

Crim000 Active Member

Thank you for all the comments everyone I will get some pics of the back up in awhile

SBSVC likes this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, that one's a repro too, so like, 80 years too early:smuggrin:

Figtree3 and Debora like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I can see why it was widely reproduced. Nice graphic!

11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

There are a whole series of these, not all cigarettes, but all depicting Shanghai cafe dancers and other fashionable Chinese girls advertising all sorts of stuff. They all have very cool decorative power IMO.

anundverkaufen and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted