Featured looking for info for HC dinnerware set

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JohnK, Jan 10, 2022.

1. JohnK

JohnK New Member

Hi all!

I'm new here and came across this forum while searching for info on a dinnerware set I inherited from my uncle.

He told me it was possibly purchased in the 1920's. I believe it to be Heinrich & Co, manufactured in Role Stara (or Stara Role, I've seen it both ways).

I cannot identify the pattern. I contacted replacements.com directly and they said they have no record of it. I did find a couple of HC pieces online with different patterns and slightly different backstamps. Both specifically include "Austria". As seen in the photo, my set does not.

The set is quite large. Originally, it included a place setting for 12 but is now missing a few pieces. Included are: dinner plates, salad plates, soup bowls, coffee cups and saucers, various size serving bowls, gravy boat, etc.

If anyone could provide information on the history, year of manufacture and pattern that would be awesome.

I'm interested in selling it so advice on value and how/where to sell would also be welcome.

Thanks!

china place setting-sm.jpg cup-saucer.jpg serv bowl-2.jpg serv bowl-1.jpg backstamp.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    pearlsnblume, dude, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

First of all, WELCOME @JohnK!! Secondly, GREAT job on your images!! And thirdly, I'm not one of the members great on pattern IDs, so hang on and they WILL be along!! If you go back in to your post and click on the VERY TOP image that says "INSERT EVERY IMAGE FULL SIZE".....that's just what it will do .....much easier for everyone, rather than clicking on thumbnails! Thanks so much! :happy::):)

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Very pretty,but unfortunately no one seems to be interested in sets of china at the moment. Thrifts are choked with them (usually Limoge) .Some still have value but thats rare stuff like Meissen and the like.

silvia, pearlsnblume, dude and 2 others like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree with @johnnycb09, with the caveat that's it's not necessarily "rare" stuff that still brings good prices, but rather top-of-the-line stuff (such as Meissen)... which yours is not.
    You don't say what country you are located in. In my area of the Midwest USA, I'd consider myself very lucky to get $50 for a complete dinnerware set such as yours, it is not a high-end set. Having a pattern name won't matter... many, many patterns never had a name. Also, a "rare" pattern is a drawback in this case... potential buyers will know that replacing occasional broken pieces will be nigh on impossible.
    It's quite pretty, but very like the stuff often seen in the local thrifts in my large metropolitan area.
    If it were me, I'd put it up on my local FaceBook Marketplace for a starting price of $100 and hope that a cottagecore enthusiast takes a liking to it.

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Suggest you contact Replacements to sell it.
    Can take the angle that since they have none in stock, they can add this LARGE SET to their inventory.

dude, bluumz and Aquitaine like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Agree with Bluumz on the price and methodology too!

dude and bluumz like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Keep in mind that if you don't sell locally, shipping it will be quite a production! :nailbiting:

8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced this is a Heinrich mark.

Fid and antidiem like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

you've chosen one of the worst brands to investigate.:)
    Austria was over in 1918, but till the official founding or rather take-over by the new Czecho-Slovakia remnants were still sold with Austria or without country at all.
    Role-Stara was Altrohlau just on the outskirts of Carlsbad or Karlsbad and all the old small porcelain factories changed their names and owners like underpants. Moritz Zdekauer - a Viennese investor had a few companies around Karlsbad and marked properly with MZ, but afterwards ... hell.

antidiem and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

don't think they really had a choice............:p:playful::playful:

antidiem likes this.
  11. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

Shown mark is not the mark of a producer but that of the responsible US importer/distributor, Hinrich & Co. (note the spelling) from New York which was active between 1886 and 1898 in that form. The business was formerly known as Charles Hinrich Imports until his son took over 1886.

SBSVC and antidiem like this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'd be highly amazed if ANYTHING left the realms of the Österreichisches Kronland Böhmen marked in Czech. even to the USA.

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it's anyway a joke. in proper Czech it would be Starà Role.

14. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

We shouldn't be surprised that a New York importer would get the name backwards.

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

but certainly nobody would have dared to mark with a Czech lion in Austria between 1886 and 1898...
    upload_2022-1-13_18-9-30.png

antidiem likes this.
  16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it seems - not for the first time - certain people have not the slightest idea of the history of the Hapsburg Empire. from the Kronländer - or crownlands - Czechia was the most "unruly" but from the industrial and military power level if not above Hungary at least on same level. Vienna - in its godgiven stupidity - started to impose clearly anti-Czech legislations; a.o. every official representatif of state down to the last postmaster in the smallest village had to understand, speak , read and write German - if not they were sacked.
    so it's out of question that the right honorable Mister Hinrich from NY would have received porcelain marked in such a way as shown. the responsibles of the factory would have gone to jail if not court-martialled immediately.
    [​IMG]

komokwa likes this.
  17. JohnK

JohnK New Member

Thanks to all for the great input.

I was questioning the "Role Stara" myself as I saw it on a map as Stara Role. Interesting stuff.

My first thought in terms of selling was also FB Marketplace. Agreed, shipping would be a nightmare. Maybe I'll reach out to Replacements again and see if they're interested, but again... shipping.

Thanks for the help!

bluumz and Fid like this.
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the day before yesterday I had my good old friend Miroslav on the phone. born in Prague, brought up in Switzerland, living somewhere in Malaysia now. when I told him about it and that it was on a site by a German-Anglosaxon he only sighed and used some unprintable words...
    so we dropped it and went on exchanging Gulash and Strudel recipes.:)
    P.S. Stara means old and Role is the Czech phonetic form for Rohlau...

Draft saved Draft deleted