Looking for Info on Native American Jewelry & Makers

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Curioser, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I've been looking for a group of persons knowledgeable about vintage and new Native American jewelry. I'm interested in learning about makers, techniques and materials. I've spent a lot of time on online stores specializing in NA pieces but most offer only limited info on older pieces and limited lists of makers and marks.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Tracy

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you need some books........ remember books ?
    or you could search here for all posts concerning NA jewelry....there are lots..

Xristina, Any Jewelry, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

As @komokwa mentioned, books are an EXCELLENT resource, however, there are several well versed experts on this site here, as well who can help. But they will also suggest the resources, so you to can learn for yourself, after helping you!!!:):)

Any Jewelry, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Native American jewelry.....u no that's a 2 billion dollar market ...with many tribal variations and subsections across the continent.......right ?

U got any preferences ???

makers, from where?

techniques .....engraving , chasing ,repouse, casting, carving, beadwork, ect..

materials....gold ,silver, brass, bronze,copper, stone,jewels, shell, wood, leather..
    and so forth and so on...

a lot to learn....

Any Jewelry, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Tracy. Any specific questions, please ask, we will do our best to answer them.

Seizing the opportunity to post pics of two gold bracelets by a favourite of many of our Native American jewellery lovers here ( @reader :)), Hopi artist and spiritual leader Charles Loloma:

[​IMG]
    https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot/a-coral-turquoise-lapis-lazuli-and-gold-6123922-details.aspx

I love this style, tufa cast with inlay on the inside. My favourite, which I was allowed to wear once, had inside inlay and a cut-out on the outer gold to reveal some of the inlay.:happy: The inside inlay signifies inner beauty:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.lot-art.com/auction-lot...let/57a-charle_loloma_bracelet-16.9.19-bonham

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  6. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Sandra likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted