Featured Looking for info on picture and how to hang it

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SeaGoat, May 21, 2016.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

So I finally got my estate sale buy home (safely!), the frame touched up, and the room it is going in painted.
    It's now ready to hang!
    ...and thank goodness. It's been leaning up against various couches in my living room with young boys around.
    Everyday was a constant, "you're too close!", "watch the picture", "don't do that! The picture!" :rolleyes:

So, the safest way to hang...
    It weighs about 30-40lbs according to the Significant Other and measures roughly 4'x5'

There is a heavy chain on the back it was previously hung with.

I have those monkey hooks that are rated to 50lbs, but I'm still iffy about all that.

While we were packing up the estate the lady who owned it told me it was her cousins house and that his mother died 20 years before he did and he died about 5 or 7 years ago.
    When his mother died he paid a company $20,000 to pack all her things and ship it from Texas to Georgia, where everything sat, stacked floor to ceiling in his basement for the 25 to almost 30 years :eek:

This picture was in a large packing crate and was only recently taken out for the estate sale.

It has spotting issues. I'm sure nearly 30 years in a humid basement had a lot to do with it.
    It's not as bad as the pictures show, a lot of that is shadows from dirty glass :nailbiting:

At one point the image was torn a bit, like something poked through it, but it was professionally patched on the back.

I haven't seen another one like it (uncolored) and matching it sheer size. What do yall think about it?

Here's overall, water bottle for size reference
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is titled "Glimpse of an English Homestead"
    " London published November 1st 1859 by Goupil & Co 17, South Hampton Street, strand. Paris 19, Boulevard Montmartre"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some spotting
    [​IMG]

Frame detail and up close pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

First of all never hang anything that has any real weight by one point, always 2 and if huge then even more points or a French cleat system.
    2 points will allow you to level a picture that has wire or cord and keep it level. Same with a French cleat. This may take some fiddling but will work.
    I have also just used the female part of the cleat, or sections of cleat, to support wire.
    Never hang any picture from the top of the frame unless it's extremely light. Even then, over time, it will eventually bow and possibly fail entirely.
    Unless I can hit a wall stud I use anchors and screws appropriate to the weight.
    Simple nails with heads, and driven in angled down, will work for many light things, even those pre-formed brass plated nails with the disc work well within weight restrictions.
    I only use those stick on ones with the hook for tiny light things if necessary. If using two I angle these appropriately.
    I've used AMS hangers not only to lock pictures to reduce theft but as hangers for heavy items.
    There are many different ways to hang things. I always strive for some overkill. I've hung enormous and extremely heavy items that have never moved or fallen. Just think it out well.

Brenda Anna, lauragarnet and SeaGoat like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've seen that image before and didn't know much about it. Thanks for the ID! I love the frame.

4. SeaGoat

The chain is screwed in at about the middle of the frame.
    I was thinking 2 points as well to help distribute the weight.

We had a heavy chandelier we hung once..
    Came home from a weekend camping to find it had crashed down on my dining room table and busted every last bit of glass.
    ...and itd been hanging for at least a week! :wideyed:

I've been paranoid about handing things since then

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  5. KingofThings

Yes. I meant to actually say the connections should be in the verticals but figured it a given. :)
    2 points will allow you toskd it level and keep it that way.
    I usually hang it then pull the bottom out and let it go back a few times. Do this until it's set level. After the wire/cord settles in a bit do this again if it needs it.
    -
    I like to use those strips that have 3 holes and a flat hinged loop strap. I don't like screw eyes.
    Overkill is the way to hang things, chandeliers included. Use the right brackets or better, and proper screws/bolts with course threads well into the wood or anchor. Butterfly anchors can work for walls but I never use them for ceilings unless they are massive and more than I really need.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    SeaGoat and lauragarnet like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks like an engraving to me. Have you taken it out of the frame? Clean glass makes a big difference. Very nice!

Brenda Anna, KingofThings and SeaGoat like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I might just sit it on a piece of felt on the back of a piece of furniture and call it solved.

KingofThings and SeaGoat like this.
  8. SeaGoat

Ha! My luck itll slide off just resting with earth quake of children coming through.

I havet taken it out. Im scared to.
    It looks to be stretched and mounted though..

KingofThings likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if it's worth it to you take it to a restorer and have it cleaned..

10. KingofThings

The lower the attachment points the more it will want to tip out at the top

komokwa likes this.
  11. SeaGoat

What do yall think the value of it is and what would it cost for someone to restore it?

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Even if you don't have it restored, you should take the backing off and replace it with acid free paper or acid free board to prevent any further foxing. The foxing comes from the acidic paper that was used for the backing. Most art paper and board made today is acid free. You can even get it at Micheal's.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  13. komokwa

whatever the value...the foxing hurts it....and the print should be de-acidified..

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  14. SeaGoat

What kind of businesses do that?
    Like, what do you call the kinds of companies that do that sort of thing?

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

It's a beautiful print. The chicks are done very well.

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I doubt that it needs to be de-acidified, but who knows. Seriously - clean the glass!

Take the print out and clean the glass inside and out. Add an acid free backing if necessary.

17. komokwa

if those marks are only on the frame and glass....then fine.....but just adding an acid free mat if the print is damaged will not help the value or the print....and only show off the foxing even more.

Brenda Anna and KingofThings like this.
  18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm not thinking of an acid free mat so much as something on the back to separate the print from whatever is closing the frame. Don't know about here, but frequently the stuff behind the print is very acidic.

With the print out of the frame, you could also dust that liner with a dry paintbrush.

Brenda Anna and KingofThings like this.
  19. komokwa

i guess it all depends on the prints value as to how far one should go to preserve it.
    preservation....restoration..

20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A damp paper towel on the glass couldn't hurt anything. If it's a really old framing job, the backing could be poplar or another wood. Wood backings eat prints eventually.

Draft saved Draft deleted