Featured Looking for info on this unusual 2-pc cabinet with Rollup mini sections.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Kathy Richardson, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Kathy Richardson

Kathy Richardson New Member

I picked up a unique beautiful cabinet many years ago and have never seen another one even close to it. It is 2 pieces with one sitting on top of another. It is a wonderful cabinet. It was described as an oak file cabinet / bookcase with roll-down locking doors and locking lower doors. It came with 3 keys. It is held by two screws and a series of wooden blocks that support and hold the sections together. You remove the screws and rotate, not removed, to release one section from the other. Then the top of the bookcase can also be removed as well as the shelf.

The piece was first purchased from an attorney in New Tazwell, Virginia, who bought it in 1932 when he opened his law office. He was finally fully retired and was selling pieces from his office. I believe it to be all original, including the brass hardware. One of the 15 brass knobs is a tad different but it was bought that way. I found some brass knobs very close but I would replace all 15. Not sure I even want to do that since the ones on it seem original, even the different one which must have been changed at some point by the original owner. I am no expert so hope this is the 'right' way to do the measurements:)

Whole piece is about: 79" tall x 51" wide x 17.5" deep
    Top section: 49" wide x 43" tall x 13.5" deep
    Cubby section x 15 is about: 15" wide x 6.75" tall x 13" deep
    Top of bottom bookcase: 51" wide x 1.25" tall x 18.75" deep
    Bottom bookcase section is about: 49" wide x 28" tall x 17.5" deep

Has anyone seen anything like it? It is an amazing piece. A suggested value would be very helpful. This piece is a large piece and since we downsized 5 yrs ago it just is too big for our home. I don't want to part with it but need to. IMG_3786b.jpg
    IMG_3787b.jpg IMG_3788b.jpg IMG_3789b.jpg
    IMG_3791b.jpg
    IMG_3792b.jpg
    IMG_3794b.jpg
    IMG_6288c.jpg
    IMG_6290.JPEG

IMG_3793b.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome Kathy,
    Just moving this thread to the Furniture Forum.

judy likes this.
  3. Kathy Richardson

Kathy Richardson New Member

Thanks. I looked to see how I could do that once I realized it but didn't find a way to edit that. :)

KikoBlueEyes, judy and i need help like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

You’re Welcome! Furniture Folks will be along. :)

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  5. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

This one on 1stDibs is similar and they list it as a "Oak Rolling Top Secretaire" made in 1920. They are asking $6,750 but 1stDibs pricing is typically 3-6 times what pieces typically sell for at auctions, or on sites like Chairish and Etsy. There have been some similar tambour door oak file cabinets sold on Liveauctioneers, almost all without the base piece. They have sold in the $500-$1,000 range. If I had to guess I'd say yours would be in the $800-$1800 range unless you can determine the maker and it's someone noteworthy. OTC.jpg

6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Very nice!
    Just think of all the goodies it once held.

7. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

Perhaps its original use was in a haberdashery/clothes shop, rather than for domestic use? It would account for the metal name/label tabs.

Houseful, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Early pharmacy use, hence the locking mechanisms? Or for legal files?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  9. ritzyvintage

You're not kidding either! 99.9% of 1stDibs items are phenomenally overpriced. I was offered selling space from them when I sold on Ruby Lane, but I wouldn't touch 1stDibs with a barge pole. The site is ridiculously overrated, IMO. Most intelligent collectors avoid it like the plague!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    judy, Darkwing Manor, JayBee and 2 others like this.
  10. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

What a cool piece!
    Leslie

Houseful, judy and Kathy Richardson like this.
  11. ritzyvintage

Just to add... Many A-List celebrities and also Royalty, use Purchasing Agents to locate and then buy Antiques and desirables on their behalf. It is often 1stDibs that the agents then turn to and use as 'money' is no object. In fact, the more expensive an item is, the more attractive it is to the super-rich.

12. mark737

Yes, that's what I've heard about 1stDibs as well. That the pricing is mostly set up for interior designers working for super wealthy clients and getting a % of the total cost, so the higher the better. It's a good site for identifying pieces (though attributions are often just guesses) but useless for values. I guess if you're a dealer with them or a licensed designer, you can get access to actual sales prices.

Houseful, judy, JayBee and 1 other person like this.
  13. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

It's also great if you are putting together an insurance claim! :angelic::angelic::angelic:

judy, ritzyvintage and mark737 like this.
  14. ritzyvintage

But not so great when some ape on eBay bases their own price from a lovely looking picture on 1stDibs and then refuses to lower the cost.

15. mark737

Here's an example I know because I own one of these. It's a rattan mirror made in Italy for US company Rosenthal-Netter. It's often attributed to designer Franco Albini but I've never seen documentation so probably just made up. One of these sold on Chairish for $175 and the other is listed on 1stDibs for $3,470. Rosen3.jpg

16. ritzyvintage

1stDibs Pricing Policy

1. Pick a number
    2. Double it
    3. Add a few zeros
    4. Job done

Draft saved Draft deleted