Looking for information on antique Reed & Barton Sterling Silver tray

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MTswirls, Aug 20, 2019.

1. MTswirls

MTswirls Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to date this Reed & Barton sterling silver tray. I looked all over the internet, but I could not find another one that matches. Based on its stamp it was produced between 1889 to 1946. I'm wondering if this tray belonged to a particular model tea set produced by Reed & Barton, or if it was sold separately? I'm also curious about its potential value if anyone has any thoughts on that. It weighs about 665 grams. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

It's rather plain, which does not argue well for a match to a flatware pattern. You can search using the "design number" 842 to see what the closest numbers look like.

MTswirls, komokwa, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Bakers, does this sound like they reused the #842 in 1957? Or does the X in front of the number make it different? (Just doesn't quite make sense to me...)
    reed + barton 842.jpg X842

Autumn Leaves (Sterling,1957,Hollowware)
    by REED & BARTON
    Item#: 170568Pattern Code:
    RDSAUL2
    Description: Sterling, 1957, Hollowware Only
    Pattern Number: 1957, X840, X842, X844, X845
    Pattern: Autumn Leaves (Sterling,1957,Hollowware) by Reed & Barton

https://www.replacements.com/p/reed...ware-sterling-sandwich-plate/rdsaul2/21871491

MTswirls, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Adding the letter recognizes the addition of the leaf motif. But it also looks like the basic plate is also a bit different in this case.

MTswirls, SBSVC and i need help like this.
  6. MTswirls

Do you think a piece like this is desirable to silver collectors? I'm considering selling it, but I dont want it to just be bought for scrap.

i need help likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

"collectors?" Probably not. Not one of the "famous" patterns.

MTswirls and i need help like this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Quite frankly you can not control what a person does with something once they have bought the item. JMHO

I had a lady tell me one time that she did not want to see her Mother's sterling monogramed tea service that she got as a wedding gift in the 1920's end up in the scrap pile. I had to gently explain that the in all likelihood that is what was going to happen to the tea set & for the same reason I stated above. I also added that if it meant that much to her, maybe she should keep it & pass it on to her children.

In the end she ended up selling it at the auction because none of the children wanted it & the buyer who bought it was someone who was buying silver to eventually scrap when the price increased.

MTswirls and i need help like this.
  9. MTswirls

Yes, I do see your point. I'm not familiar with silver antiques so I dont know what to expect when it comes to the market for such pieces. I'm trying to sort through some sets I inherited, and I keep hearing that they're only worth their scrap value. I also have a Gordon Plymouth set which seems to retail for a lot online, but I was told it was only worth scrap. I guess I just thought some of these pieces may be desirable to someone. If they'll only be used for scrap I would like to know so I dont spend time listing them on ebay when I can just take it somewhere local.

10. Bakersgma

I have to assume you meant "Gorham Plymouth" not Gordon. "Seems to retail for a lot online" must mean you've been looking at sites like Replacements Ltd (whose prices are outrageous and should never be used as a pricing tool.) Sold prices are what matter. Selling a whole set to one buyer who intends to use and not either sell piecemeal or scrap is rare indeed. Selling in small lots to buyers who need pieces to fill in a set or replace damaged, is the better way to go but will take longer to get rid of it all.

MrNate and SBSVC like this.
  11. MTswirls

Yes, I meant Gorham. Excuse my typo :facepalm:. Selling individually does sound like the best option. Thanks for the information!

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted