Looking for information on cast iron(?) table w/cherub(?) face legs

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 5, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store. I thought it was beautiful - especially the cherub / angel faces on the legs (is that what the face is supposed to be?) And even though it was missing a top I thought it was a good deal for $39.95 - so I bought it.
    Lifting it made me think it was cast iron because it is heavy(!) but a magnet doesn't stick to it, and I'm wondering if it's aluminum?

Also it's unusual because it appears to be 3 pieces that fit together like a puzzle with a nut & screw holding each section to the next. And when you tighten them the table is surprisingly steady/sturdy.

The screws are the old rounded top slot screws (machine screws?) so I am thinking it's at least from the 60's?

It's 26" tall x 18" across the top - so I can use a 18" - 24" top right? The ones I found that look close to mine all had wood tops instead of glass; is that so you can't see the bolts & screws?

Can anyone tell me about it - what year is it from? Where is it from? What is it made of?
    Does it have a name (angel leg table?)
    I appreciate any information - I usually buy a painting at the thrift store so this is something new for me & I'm hoping I did ok?
    Thank you!

FURNITURE TABLE CAST IRON GOLD WITH CHERUB ANGEL LEGS 1AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE CAST IRON GOLD WITH CHERUB ANGEL LEGS 2AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE CAST IRON GOLD WITH CHERUB ANGEL LEGS 3AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE CAST IRON GOLD WITH CHERUB ANGEL LEGS 4AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE CAST IRON GOLD WITH CHERUB ANGEL LEGS 4AAA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE CAST IRON GOLD WITH CHERUB ANGEL LEGS 5AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE CAST IRON GOLD WITH CHERUB ANGEL LEGS 6AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE CAST IRON GOLD WITH CHERUB ANGEL LEGS 7AA.JPG FURNITURE TABLE CAST IRON GOLD WITH CHERUB ANGEL LEGS 8AA.JPG

cxgirl and judy like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I bet that had a glass top. Aluminium would be light, not heavy. Might be some kind of spelter: what colour does it look under that paint?

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't see an angel on those legs. Where are the wings?

4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Can we see a straight on view of the faces please?

5. journeymagazine

Bookahtoo 3rd pic is straight on? Do you want one lower?

6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Take one aiming right at the chin - so we're looking them in the eyes. :)

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

View attachment 386008
    You can see a little area of color under paint chip on the close up foot, photo 5 from bottom. Looks sort of gray colored.

I have to say my first impression is that this is vintage at best, just seems like the mold isn't crisp --- but that could be looking that way due to camera flash, etc. It does seem to have a "French vibe" so either French or copied from a French piece maybe?? But wait for others.

This could be a plant stand, but certainly works as a small side table.

cxgirl likes this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Born2it, pearlsnblume and Lucille.b like this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

10. journeymagazine

cxgirl likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

cxgirl likes this.
  12. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yes. One pattern that was cast 3 times and was bolted together to form a table base. It would be near impossible and very expensive to cast that all in one piece. And I would guess some type of inexpensive alloy metal not aluminum. Aluminum ingots are pretty expensive compared to Spelter which is a mostly zinc with some lead added alloy. Spelter castings are then plated with copper and then patinated or just painted.

cxgirl likes this.
  13. journeymagazine

Here you go, Bookahtoo (thanks)
    (Sorry for Barbie box inside table, I'm running out of room! It's a Barbie airplane in the box I found at a thrift store today. I have to check if complete but looks unused - I paid $24.95 and the 2 listed on eBay are each for sale for $400+!)

FURNITURE TABLE CAST IRON GOLD WITH CHERUB ANGEL LEGS 4zAAA.JPG

Born2it likes this.
  14. journeymagazine

Will a magnet stick to spelter?

Rayo56 likes this.
  15. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

No - zinc or lead is not magnetic. Only ferrous metals (alloys that contain iron) are magnetic.

16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Looks like it has a heavy coat of gold spray paint :(

17. journeymagazine

Yes it's been painted.

18. journeymagazine

So maybe shelter...I didn't think it felt like that; it has a solid feel & I always thought of shelter as light, cheap etc
    Any idea of age with the screws on it?
    - thanks

19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Shelter? Don't you mean spelter?

20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

nope, Spelter can be heavy, think of some of the art deco sculptures or lamp bases that are made of Spelter.

I think the same. Any new stuff seems to have new, cheap type screws.
    it is a nice piece, I'm sure you will do well with it:)

journeymagazine and Born2it like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted