Looking for Information on Claire Burke Pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Nov 5, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Buddies! I have started to come across pieces like the box and pitcher below. These pieces are unmarked but a friend told me he has seen a smaller but similar box with the word Burke in script on the bottom. The only Burke I could find was Claire Burke and these pieces do seem to be in her style. I think it's a contemporary decorator line (most likely Made in China) but was wondering if anyone could confirm. The pitcher is 8" tall and box is about 6" square. There was a very small oval paper label on the box but it is no longer readable. The other bumps on the base appear to be just loose pieces of clay that adhered. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
    Don

IMG_20191105_112428011.jpg IMG_20191105_112437884.jpg IMG_20191105_112446366.jpg IMG_20191105_112455230.jpg IMG_20191105_112614349.jpg IMG_20191105_112634823.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

In the late 1980s-90s, Claire Burke was a potpourri and air freshner company. Can't remember if they did candles as well.
    They also sold other items to compliment their products.

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I have 3 marks (??) for you to peek at Don.....and not sure that they relate at all.....the first one shows up better on my computer in the red circle....looks like XZZ in the left corner, then MWW....doesn't make sense to me, but WDIK. Second image, looks like WP in the middle, again circled in red. And 3rd image, may just be gobbledy gook in lower right corner! You can see the last two are on the box and the first one is from the little pitcher......they were best visible inversed.....I couldn't bring out the writing under the center mark.....sorry!

X3ZZZZZZ _112455230-edit2.jpg ZZZZZ CENTER MARK.jpg ZZZZZZ OFF CENTER MARK 2.jpg

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The areas you are picking up are actually depressions rather than impressed. The color in those spots is whiter than the rest of the bottom. I think the brighter white is actually glaze that got stuck on there somehow during the manufacturing process. It left a depression in the areas it did not cover. Thanks for going over the pieces so carefully though. It is much appreciated.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted