Looking for information on my Neoclassical style vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by watcha, Jun 17, 2021.

1. watcha

watcha New Member

Hi Everyone

I hope you are doing great. I found this vase on a brocante market in my village. I felt in love with its style and color. The seller told me that it is from around 1870s by Thomas Sergent. There is a signature in the bottom but not exactly like Thomas Sergent's signature (I did some research on the internet).

One thing for sure about this vase is, it was super dirty and dusty (black dust, hard to clean) when I found it and I have been spending many hours to clean all dark, deep dirt from all of its cracks (still a lot left). I feel like it was buried or been abandoned for a long time.

I would really like to have your opinion on it (year, style, signature). Thank you very very much.

Watcha

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg

Attached Files:

Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm really not seeing Sergent quality on this. The modelling looks too crude and the colouring and glaze is clumsy.

Bronwen, Debora, KikoBlueEyes and 2 others like this.
  3. watcha

watcha New Member

That’s what I am thinking. So I am trying to figure it out what exactly lol? Thank you so much

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect it's Italian. Those handles are typical.

5. watcha

watcha New Member

Thank you. Will try to research more.

Bronwen and Ownedbybear like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

did you repair the top rim , or did u find it that way?

7. watcha

watcha New Member

Unfortunately I found it that way. It was a rough reparation.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted