Looking for information on this old baseball player

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Atlantic Jim, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Atlantic Jim

Atlantic Jim Active Member

This came from a large auction lot. I have a few more of this man wearing this jersey. Photos in the album were dated 1911-1919. No information was on the back of this photo. Do you happen to know who this may be or more about the Camden team he is playing for?
    I do know this is Camden, nj. I believe this is Delaware River Ship builder league ( though I don't know much about the league) and I. Hopeful this is Chief Bender... IMG_20190404_234609759-2004x2672.jpg IMG_20190404_234609759-2004x2672.jpg

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to this, there was no professional Camden team in those years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden_Riversharks

Here's the Camden High School team in 1910. Different uniforms.

Your man appears a bit older. And did you notice he has a "W" on his cap?

Debora

1910-CHS-Baseball-01b.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wait! Isn't your main the same fellow sitting in front row center?

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Nice research, Debora.
    Definitely not Chief Bender or even remotely close.
    Also, guy in Atlantic Jim's photo a lefty, George Glendenning a right-hander, so, no.

It is true that, strangely, Camden did not have a minor-league pro team between 1904 and 2001, so amateur or semi-pro is pretty certain -- probably industrial league as Jim guessed. Some historians of deadball-era amateur and minor-pro ball at Net54
    [ http://net54baseball.com/ ] might have more information on 1910s teams in the Camden area, but zeroing in on an identification for that guy would be a real tough chore. The Deadball Era or Minor League research committees at SABR
    [ https://sabr.org/ ] might possibly also have some helpful information...
    Atlantic Jim, was there no paperwork -- correspondence, newspapers, clippings -- accompanying or mixed in with the photos that might provide any sort of clues?

KikoBlueEyes and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Probably Camden Athletic Club.

8. Atlantic Jim

Appreciate the input everyone. Deb that guy does look similar. Maybe a brother. I'll check out those links baseball games. No other clues that I found but there are still a ton more photos for me to go through. I'll check it out tonight and update

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Atlantic Jim likes this.
  10. Atlantic Jim

That's a great picture

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Left-hander, right-hander... Think I'm clever but never would have thought of that! One of those links provides the information that George had a brother Charles, who was also an athlete.

Debora

12. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Atlantic Jim, might be worthwhile posting your photo to that FB West Jersey site say_it_slowly linked to -- a lot of "followers" there and ya never know who might recognize something.

We were trying to make the character on your guy's left sleeve an "8," but it's clearly an "E" -- might be a helpful clue to identifying his team.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted