Featured Looking for more info about marked SLIM turquoise ring?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Melissa Brown, May 22, 2017.

1. Melissa Brown

Melissa Brown Well-Known Member

That's a weird site! The prices have C (Canadian?) in front of the $ but mos of the listings I looked at shipped from the US....I've heard if fake eBay sites...wonder if this is one of them?

...and a G! Ughhh...the mystery continues! :wacky:

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It says Grace Smith, not Slim. And they are not as nice as Melissa's ring.

3. Melissa Brown

Man...I can't read! I read Smith as Slim too! Thank goodness you can read @Any Jewelry! :bookworm:

Btw, I also thought Grace Smiths work wasn't as fine as whoever made my ring ;-)

4. Any Jewelry

Only occasionally, but for a moment my eyes and brain where in perfect sync :D.
    Not nearly as fine. And that subtle greenish colour of the turquoise, that is what I remember of Grace Slim pieces I saw before.

Melissa Brown likes this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Geez... I can't read either. Welllll, my excuse is having a multitude of senior moments. :(

--- Susan

Any Jewelry and Melissa Brown like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

ebay.ca is a real site... Canada, as komokwa said.

SBSVC, komokwa and Melissa Brown like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

9. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

We KNOW you live in igloos - but where in the hell do you keep all those cars? Igrages?

10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Further, if a US seller chooses to include sales to Canada, the prices there will show up in Canadian dollars, while those on the US site remain in American dollars.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Melissa Brown

Sorry if I offended any Canadians! Definitely not my intent!

I had a long stint of my photos and listings for my ceramic work being lifted off Etsy and used (and offered for sale in mass quantities) on a Chinese website I'm sure most of you have heard of. It was a serous battle I never want to repeat to get the listings taken down. For a while there it was like playing whack a mole.

I'm a little gunshy I guess. Again my apologies to Canadians and Chinese.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I believe the Chinese eBay site, if there is one, would be ebay.cn -- At least I think that "cn" is the two-character URL code for China.

13. Melissa Brown

It wasn't ebay. It was alibaba.

14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Beautiful ring IMO. Does it only look much older than the work of Grace to others beside me? I'd bet it's the same family but at least a generation older.

15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I feel like an idiot too LOL. I never actually looked but knew the OP's was older than the pictures pulled. I'll go check now but you've got a beautifully made older piece IMO.

Any Jewelry and Melissa Brown like this.
  16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Can't find anything else either.

Melissa Brown likes this.
  17. Melissa Brown

Thank you @reader. I think it's pretty fine work too. I wrote to Michael Slim, a current generation Slim silversmith to ask him if he recognized the work. I couldn't attach photos to the first message, which was through his website. He wrote back and asked for photos. I haven't heard back yet, but I'll let everyone here know what he says. It's a holiday weekend, so I suspect he's at an art show.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  18. Any Jewelry

Don't worry, it's just one of those threads that gets in a tangle;), with ebay.ca, Grace Slim who was a silversmith and consequently became Grace Smith. And the next thing will be Chinese ebayers living in igloos:p.
    And yes, I think Melissa's ring is much nicer as well. Have you seen the dotted detail in the ringband splits? The leaf/feather is gorgeously chunky, and that turquoise.... I usually go for the bluish turquoise, but this colour is mesmerizing.
    I'd love to know if Michael Slim recognizes it.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    reader and Melissa Brown like this.
  19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree it's a beauty AJ. Really nice work IMO

Melissa Brown and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Melissa Brown

I've heard back from two contemporary Slim family silversmiths (brothers) and neither recognizes the makers mark but agree it looks like their families work. Back to the drawing board....

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted