Looking for thoughts on a inlay side table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by electrofelt, Dec 4, 2022.

1. electrofelt

electrofelt New Member

Hi all! New poster here :)

I've had this pretty delicate side table for years and looking to see if anyone can help me date it or learn more about it?

I purchased at a yard sale in Northeast USA (Massachusetts) ~15 years ago, no idea the history before that.

The top is wood inlay with a separate glass cover and brass corners. The glass does have a slight wavy-ness to it and edges are unevenly ground down.

From what I can tell it looks hand carved, the designs don't match perfectly. But whoever made it seemed to use some sort of saw and rounded flat "bit" to carve the details.

On the bottom there is a handwritten number "271BM" and some weird whitish paint all over everything, but no other numbers or tags.

Dimensions: 19in wide, 34in long, 18in high

Any thoughts? Would love any info you all can provide!

IMG_2938 Large.jpeg IMG_2943 Large.jpeg IMG_2945 Large.jpeg IMG_2954 Large.jpeg IMG_2949 Large.jpeg Untitled4.jpg Untitled 3.jpg Untitled 2.jpg Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    ulilwitch and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think 50s, give or take. A lot of these were from Italy. The carving on yours seems sub-par for the time period so it could point to a later date and/or different origin.

komokwa and bluumz like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the table top seems so much finer than the legs....:wacky::wacky:

4. electrofelt

electrofelt New Member

Whoops, I guess I’m not getting emails

And yeah, I probably didn’t put it in the best light, hehe. I was looking for signs of hand carving so I highlighted all the flaws :)

Do they have any value? If this one is “meh” then I might just keep and enjoy it.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not terribly valuable. Maybe $100 to the right person on a very good day. Think 1/2 to 2/3 that is more realistic.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted