Featured Lot 1930's-40's Handmade Prom Invitations/Tickets? Made form Animal Skin,Corn Shucks,Cloth

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by antiquelover69, Dec 4, 2018.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what this lot of items are prom tickets,prom invitation,1930's-1940's came out of an old box of items I bought from a friend's parents's estate sale,all I believe are handmade,animal skin,wood,cloth,corn schucks,paper,all are very neat, SAM_8578.JPG SAM_8579.JPG SAM_8581.JPG SAM_8582.JPG SAM_8583.JPG SAM_8584.JPG SAM_8587.JPG any body ever had items like this lot I would love some information,

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Phyllis Lillian Lutgens (that's her mother's maiden name, btw) was born in Fresno, CA in 1921. In both 1930 and 1940 census records she was living with her aunt and uncle (mother's brother) in Alameda County, CA. Neither of her parents were living in that home. Appears to have married 3 times and died in 2002.

judy, scoutshouse, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  3. antiquelover69

Wowww! thanks Bakersgma!! I guess that was from her high school prom or someone she knew.

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Bakersgma

I see the name Phyllis in a few places among the bits. And that autograph book "To Phyllis from Auntie, Christmas 1932." And of course that's her nametag at the end. I found her death record - died in Alameda CA, so she didn't seem to get far from home.

It says "Sue Sims" on the cover of the red autograph book. Any clues to go along with that name?

judy, scoutshouse and Lucille.b like this.
  5. antiquelover69

I know nothing about the items,there were so many papers.

judy likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

You didn't just take these pictures today?

judy likes this.
  7. antiquelover69

No I've had them stored on my computer

judy likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're -- at least some of them are -- dance cards.

Debora

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Things like this were pretty common back then for high school dances, and later at college sororities and fraternities. Invitations, dance cards, autograph books, etc. It looks like a few you have are homemade possibly, but sometimes odd materials were used as covers, esp. if it went with the theme of the party or dance.

These are fascinating to look at, for sure. Value isn't huge however.

By chance I purchased a large lot of somewhat similar at an estate sale a few months ago. The first set shown in photo #1 were dance cards from 1914-1917, second box was 1938-1941. I had around 40 or 50 pieces total. Sold them separately but they went to the same buyer. Together went for around $55.

sor3.jpg sor3b.jpg

Figtree3, judy, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  10. antiquelover69

Thank you,I had no idea.I do sell on Ebay

judy likes this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I might have gotten a bit more if I separated them out, but didn't have the time. So about $.50-$1 per card. Condition being important even at that value.

Really unusual single cards with a great look (or famous name inside!) could certainly go for more. I had one Christmas dance card from 1917 with a very nice Santa graphic. I separated that one out and it sold for $10.

So not huge value for the general ones. I rarely see this kind of thing at estates, but seems the rarity doesn't equate to $ for the most part.

Still fun to look at though, and amazing that Baker's got so much history from the name. :) Very cool!

Figtree3, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  12. antiquelover69

Right! I'm amazed!

judy likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a rather modest assortment. From high school and mostly handmade. I (personally) don't see much interest or value.

Debora

14. antiquelover69

I have lots of old items with autographs,year books from 1900-1990's.But don't know any,also have 2 signed advertisement booklet and card signed by Yorz.This is really cool SAM_0098.JPG SAM_0109.JPG SAM_0110.JPG SAM_0110.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted