Featured Madonna and Child painting on wood panel

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Hi, I purchased this painting yesterday at a local consignment shop. It is oil on panel, I think the wood of the panel is oak. The panel measures about 10 1/2" by 9 1/2". The wood for the frame is something lighter and does not have a pronounced grain. There is some writing on the back of the frame. The decoration seems to be applied like you would apply slip on pottery. There are places where the decoration has fallen off and you can see the wood of the frame. The painting had a card attached to the back and it appears at one time it was owned by Katherine Roche ( may be penciled on the back of the frame?). Katherine Roche had a radio show on WGN in Chicago. The note seems to imply that it was purchased from her estate. I am not sure what the comment about the Chicago Art Institute has to do with the painting. I am guessing it was painted maybe mid 19th century. I don't really have an idea of what country it was painted in. I do believe that it is a copy of a painting by Raphael. Hopefully someone will have some insight as to it's origin. IMG_1589.jpg IMG_1590.jpg IMG_1591.jpg IMG_1592.jpg IMG_1593.jpg IMG_1594.jpg IMG_1595.jpg IMG_1599.jpg IMG_1600.jpg

judy, Boland and i need help like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Madonna della seggiola looks to be a match:

[​IMG]

3. sabre123

4. sabre123

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think she'd fall easily into the folk art category. Somebody with some talent but zippo formal training, painting on whatever came handy. The frame may have already existed.

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yes, it looks like it's on oak.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like a piece leftover from 1890s-1910s furniture.

judy likes this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It desperately needs a good clean but I think its charming.

charlie cheswick and judy like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm put off by the craquelure that seems to be too even and varnished over. It looks forced.

10. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I agree, it seems a bit strange. I think you are right that it has been varnished again at some point. I gave it a good examination with a loop and UV light. Nothing jumped out at me as being out of sorts. I am wondering if it is just the result of surface prep by a novice artist?

judy likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Of course, I may be wrong but... I don't think it's meant to deceive. A decorative piece owned by a local celebrity artist.

Debora

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You have to ask yourself: How does craquelure happen? It can be caused by a number of factors, but it comes down to shrinkage of the drying pigments. On this painting you have every pigment in every color drying and shrinking to the same degree over the entire surface. That seems unlikely. Since craquelure is considered a defect, I can't imagine a 19th C painter, even an amateur, wanting it in their image. If the craquelure is forced, that would indicate to me that it was done for decorative effect and/or artificial aging, suggest the painting is actually newer than it looks. But I readily admit this is all conjecture.

judy and sabre123 like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Conjecture, of course, but I would think done for decorative effect. The work is more "inspired by" rather than a copy. And as such does, combined with well chosen frame, has naive charm. But I doubt a serious artist would copy The Madonna of the Barrelhead which is famous for being in a round format in a rectangular format.

Debora

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    sabre123 likes this.
  14. sabre123

Agree

15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I would call it a free adaptation of the Raphael.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted