Featured Mahogany Desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by mark737, Jan 28, 2022.

1. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

I picked up this unusual desk the other day, which appears to be in an Art Moderne or Streamline Moderne style. Under the old and cloudy finish is some nice mahogany. The second photo shows the large drawer which appears to be solid mahogany all around with hand-cut dovetails. The third photo is the lock removed from top drawer. From image searches, the closest matches I could find were French desks from the 30's-40's. The most unusual part is the twisted iron "stretcher" supporting the leg. I'd be interested in any thoughts on possible origin and if anyone has seen any other furniture with an iron support like this. desk33.jpg Drawer.jpg lock.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    judy, Born2it and Roaring20s like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I kind of half thought that twisted iron "stretcher" as you called it, was possibly bolted to the wall!!!! Very bizarre!!!! And NOT a clue, sorry! Is the whole desk as solid as it looks to be???

judy and mark737 like this.
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Art Deco influence for sure.
    What type of screws are used on the lock and metal rail, slotted or phillips?
    Mid to late 1930s is when you start to see phillips, but slotted were still used.

4. mark737

Yes, the iron piece is quite strange. I suppose it's possible it was added after the fact to support the leg but it would not be an easy piece to make for the average hobbyist. And yes, it is very solid and heavy. Screws are slotted on both the support and lock.

Iron.jpg

Figtree3, judy and Roaring20s like this.
  5. mark737

If the support were added later, I'm thinking maybe I should remove it, as it looks a bit awkward. This is how the leg attaches to the underside of the table, which makes me wonder how sturdy it would be without the support.

Leg.jpg

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm thinking you just might be right!!

judy likes this.
  7. Roaring20s

I assume the braid is also fastened to the pillar?
    The pillar looks fine with its support / footrest.

8. mark737

Yes, two slotted screws attach the braid to the column/leg. If it were part of the original design I would definitely keep it, I've just never seen one like it.

judy and Born2it like this.
  9. Roaring20s

I see no reason that it is not original to it.
    It's a fine looking desk.

judy likes this.
  10. Roaring20s

11. mark737

Thanks for those - I'd seen the cerused oak one on Chairish too. I just came across this one, coincidently also sold here in Texas, with a similar type of support, though in a more typically Deco chrome. It's listed as 1930's and made in the US.

Decodesk3.jpg

Figtree3, judy, Born2it and 1 other person like this.
  12. mark737

While stripping off the cloudy finish I noticed that part of the edge banding has this small area with finish loss. I was assuming the edge was veneer but on closer inspection it appears to be grain painted, which is something I just learned about here last month. Is that what it looks like to you?

Edge.jpg

judy likes this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nope. Think someone sanded through the veneer in a previous refinishing job.

Figtree3, komokwa, Fern77 and 2 others like this.
  14. mark737

Thanks, Brad. It must be pretty thin veneer and well applied because it's difficult to see any edges.

15. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Do by any means remove that twisted iron thing. Please!
    The chromed one on the other one looks out of place enough, designwise. If support is really necessary, you can add a stretcher at floor level to join the carcass and the pillar. Just an opinion.

mark737 likes this.
  16. mark737

I'm usually against altering the vision of the designer, but I agree it doesn't fit the style as well as a wood stretcher would, something like this one. Unfortunately, I'm not a woodworker. By the way, this one went up for auction a few weeks ago at Brunk's with a starting bid of $400 and passed.

Brunk.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like twisted wire........it gives the desk some intrigue. :hungry::hungry::)

Figtree3 and mark737 like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The metal is interesting visually... and also likely to be a place to accidentally hit one's ankles while using the desk. Ouch!

komokwa likes this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nahhh, it's a footrest !!!:happy::happy:;)

Born2it likes this.
  20. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am with Komokwa. I have short legs and that would be a great foot rest!

komokwa and Born2it like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted