Mahogany Footstool? Any info?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Cervorn, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Cervorn

Cervorn Member

I recently purchased this foot stool for a very small price, purly because I liked the look of it. And plan to redo it with a piece of distressed leather or tarten unless it has any age or retail potential as it is ?

Im thinking maybe the footstool has been added to a table at a later date. Can anybody comment on the wood, style or age?

Thanks Cervorn

20190326_224843.jpg 20190326_224806.jpg 20190326_224915.jpg 20190326_224942.jpg 20190326_164242.jpg 20190326_225034.jpg

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Does kind of look like a make-do. How tall is the "table" without the cushion? Hard to tell wood from these pics but maybe mahogany. As for age, 60s or so.

i need help and Cervorn like this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yep, mid-century modern lines for sure.

i need help and Cervorn like this.
  4. Cervorn

Cervorn Member

I am unable to measure the table right now as it is stored elsewhere for the time being.

Thanks for the replies. Much appriciated.

Cervorn

5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I would guess walnut finish, though maybe not real walnut underneath. Looks American, not Danish. Unfortunately you'll have a lot of screw holes to deal with if you take the seat off.

Ghopper1924, Cervorn and i need help like this.
  6. Cervorn

Cervorn Member

So it is possible that the table on its own (if correctly restored) could have more value that its current state? Is that if it is solid walnut? Thanks

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

If you can use it yourself as is or with a new cover, then I would say keep it and use it.

If you bought it to re-sell, then its a matter of how much your time is worth to you and whether you have a way to sell at retail. I've never tried to sell a footstool on its own (only when paired with the original chair it came with), so don't really know if there is a market for those or not. I have sold small tables, though, and there is a market for those - though it isn't big money and may or may not be worth your time and materials, especially for an unmarked non-designer named piece like this. I'm guessing it isn't solid walnut based on the pic from underneath, but if it is I would probably give it a shot assuming the screw holes are small enough that you think you can deal with them well.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think value as a table is pretty well shot. Top is likely veneer.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. Cervorn

Cervorn Member

Having had another look, the top is some sort of ply wood, so am I right to assume it is not the original top?

Draft saved Draft deleted