Maidens? Carved wood adornment or plaque

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Oct 18, 2022.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Got this nifty lady off someone who had been selling a nice collection piece by piece on one of the apps. Thought it might be a vintage reproduction when buying. The detail on the face a bit simple. Seems to be genuinely old though once you look in person. The hole in the back is threaded. Makes me think maybe it screwed on to a large piece of furniture like an armoire or something? Would she be French? Maybe not detailed enough for the French? Any ideas as to purpose other than just the wall, considering the threads? 71264ECD-FD05-4C52-BB22-5AD4A26CBEA6.jpeg 1FE3DDF7-05B7-47DD-9BEC-6C043D8C01A8.jpeg 0C0D2365-97CB-46BD-8A6A-3AB0BB0F6CCE.jpeg

Boland, Rob Langdon, sabre123 and 9 others like this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

An ornamental “head,” often called a Brittania, Athena, or Jenny Lind. Don’t know if anyone has ever offered a definitive explanation. I’d guess 1870s or 80s. It was probably attached to an etagere or even an elaborate clock case in the upper center. They were often made by an independent manufacturer and bought in quantity, then attached to furniture. Looks to be walnut with gilt trim. Very nice!

Figtree3, Boland, J Dagger and 10 others like this.
  3. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Thanks ghopper! Now that you mention it I think I have heard “her” called Brittania. Didn’t think about a large clock but you could be right there. Someone was just cranking out lady heads all day even back then huh? Could be worse I guess.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted