Featured Majestic CO. Manufacturers & Exporters Art Carved Chest & Furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Vintage Furniture, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I just noticed this is in 'Introductions'.
    Moderators, could you move this to 'Furniture' please?:)

2. Vintage Furniture

Vintage Furniture New Member

I am so glad that this piece is proper Chinese it truly feels more functional than others I have seen. I do not know if it makes it rarer but Amen to that.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Vintage Furniture

Sure I can, I just do not know how to do it in this forum but I will read a bit to get it done.

4. Vintage Furniture

More pictures you say... Hold my beer lol. I hope these help.

Attached Files:

komokwa likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

It doesn't, but that doesn't really matter. If you need a drinks cabinet it is better to have a functional one than a rare one in which the bottles don't fit.:D
    They do, thanks. I see dimples, tiny blobs and artificial lines, which means a man made material.
    The faces are lovely.
    Us lesser mortals can't move a thread to another forum, but the Moderators can, which is why I asked them.;)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    komokwa and Vintage Furniture like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thank you!

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

AJ-Great article on Kowloon/Hong Kong furniture.I couldn't find any pieces for Majestic for sale online-did you find a few ?
    AJ-May I ask,your knowledge of (almost) all things Asian,Far East,etc is prodigious-is that section of the world part of your family's heritage ?
    PS-Excuse me if I am being rude or intrusive,I'm still a relative rookie to this forum (2 years),and don't know many of the 'back stories' here.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Nice stuff. As for the market I don’t think it’s incredibly strong for furniture in this motif. While the forms don’t necessarily, the artwork on these types of pieces stand out strongly and clash with a lot of modern aesthetics. I see quite a bit of it get passed on or go for low money. I bet you could portably get $150-$350 for the screen and $200-$450 for the bar. It might take a while though for that right person. I could be wrong and would love to know what you do get. I have a similar screen that I’ve had for sale for a long time. I put a “I don’t want to sell it price” on it because it shields from view a dreadful pile of my shipping supplies and framed art piled up like cord wood. I wouldn’t be able be able to easily transport another one home. Even at a high price I’ve had a decent amount of interest with no bites. So there is a market for this stuff but I think it is relatively small. It really doesn’t work with anything other than more Asian furniture and sticks out like a sore thumb. If you were to take the overtly Chinese themed scenes off the pieces the forms themselves would often fit pretty well with modern design. Like the simple side of the screen would work well enough. Most of the screen I’ve seen do have a modest side which is nice. I have the modest side out on mine. I like the hardware on yours!

komokwa likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Probably made for the British "expat" community in HK. Not strictly Chinese at the time, being picky. ;)

It would actually sell very well here. People mix styles.

10. Vintage Furniture

To all, thank you so much for the great comments and advice... This is truly an amazing community. I have learned so much... Cheers

komokwa likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Yes, it is, and no you're not rude.:)
    Ancestry dotted through Asia, from the Middle East to Uzbekistan, to Champa (S. Vietnam), to Java and Madura (Indonesia). All that Asian DNA came together in a Madurese princess who married a Dutchman in the late 18th century.
    You'd think something that long ago wouldn't leave a cultural trace in a family, but it did, although European culture (also a mix) was prominent. That, and travel in Asia at an early age, piqued my interest in things Asian.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    komokwa, bluumz and Bakersgma like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

These were exported all over the world. We also have them here, and this one could be in the US.
    Hongkong and Kowloon were not part of the PRC, but still Chinese, albeit a British crown colony.;) The people kept their Chinese identity, and the furniture manufacturers were originally from Shanghai.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted