Featured Majolica Fish Tureen

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Sep 21, 2020.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

At the auction today I bought two boxes of ceramics that included this very fine majolica fish tureen.

All the other pieces in the box were early to mid twentieth century.

The ladle was in a different box to the fish but I assume it belongs with it.

The piece looks very much like Bordallo Pinheiro tureens but they are usually clearly marked whilst the glaze has blurred virtually all the detail of what could be the impressed frog in a circle on this. I know that fake marks often look blurred like this but the quality is such to make me think it may be genuine.

I read that pre WWII the factory Mark was impressed.
    B3150FAB-2A23-433E-BA28-BE49ACBEDD60.jpeg F3BB6613-8405-49A1-A7A7-6CB1CF627D58.jpeg B00AC5C1-9E71-498B-BE81-C4143EB5800E.jpeg

Any thoughts?

John

Attached Files:

Firemandk, Bronwen and quirkygirl like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Bronwen and Houseful like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

John, the ladle handle features a craca in Portuguese or a percebe in Spanish. Tureen doesn't look Spanish to my eye (although I may be wrong.) I'd think Portugal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goose_barnacle

Debora

220px-Pollicipes_pollicipes.jpg

PortableTreasures and Bronwen like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

PortableTreasures and Bronwen like this.
  5. John Brassey

Bronwen likes this.
  6. John Brassey

CheersDears and Bronwen like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. John Brassey

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. John Brassey

Thanks again Debora. Here is their response.
    Following the request for information, concerning a fish-shaped terrine, we came to inform you that it appears to be a recent piece, as indicated by the painting and glaze. The brand, very faded, clearly refers to the production of Fabrica Bordallo Pinheiro.

Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro executed terrines in the shape of fish, and his model has been reproduced throughout the 20th and 21st centuries, with minor changes, by the Bordallo Pinheiro Factory, as you can see at https://pt.bordallopinheiro.com / fish-terrine-high-33l-prd-en. For more information, I advise you to contact the factory directly.

PortableTreasures likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, how terrific to know! (And how kind of the museum to respond to your query.) So... modern. That makes sense, given it matches the mold of tureen currently on offer on brand's web site. Handsome regardless of age.

Debora

12. John Brassey

Yes they were good. I wrote in Portuguese and they responded in Portuguese - I find that using the person you are asking’s language always helps

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Of course. It's a courtesy. But English is so widely spoken in Portugal and at such a proficient level.

Debora

John Brassey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted