Majolica Julius Dressler Bowl Question.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Old Guy, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Old Guy

Old Guy New Member

bowl1.jpg bowl5.jpg bowl6.jpg bowl2.jpg bowl3.jpg I am new to this site and was hoping someone here could help me with bowl or planter. It is rather large, measuring 16 1/2" across the handles, standing 10 1/2" tall, and the inside is 11 3/4" across. The mark on the bottom tells me it was made by Julius Dressler and also says Austria. It has wonderful colors on it. Can someone here tell me what a piece like this may be worth? I will try to post pictures but sometimes I have a hard time with that. Thanks so much.

Old Guy

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2021
    judy and lauragarnet like this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a bowl, but a jardiniere missing the pedestal.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Old Guy

Old Guy New Member

I kind of thought so too Lauragarnet from the pictures that I have seen so far. Haven't seen this pattern in my research yet. Is there any market for this things without the base?

4. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's a market, but it would take research, finding exact or similar examples that have sold lately to get a feel for current demand and "sold for" prices realized.

What is the number on the bottom? Knowing that would simplify searching for the exact same jard.

5. Old Guy

Old Guy New Member

Okay, lets see. Above the word Austria is the number 3810 impressed in the bottom. There is also a mark on the bottom that is very small. It looks like three solid lines and above the three lines is another line that has a half circle in the center of it. Hope this helps.

6. Old Guy

Old Guy New Member

Okay, let me ask this----Does anyone know a better place to find the value on this piece? I have looked all over and cannot find what this may be worth. Anyone----Anyone-----just push me in the right direction. Thanks.

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Most of these types of jards do not have exact comparables. The individual patterns are just too rare. It is collectible but mostly to collectors of Dressler majolica jardinieres or majolica jardinieres in general. I think the best you will be able to do is search "Julius Dressler majolica jardinieres" and go from there. If you don't find enough Dressler examples search just majolica jardinieres. Find the ones closest to your pattern and price accordingly. You can also search jards with matching pedestals for values but as you only have the jard use about a third of any prices you find. If you wait for an exact match you may very well wait forever. It is a lovely piece.
    Don

8. Old Guy

Old Guy New Member

Thanks so much Don. I'll keep searching and see what I can find.

Draft saved Draft deleted